Virginia Aquarium  » Travel  »
717 General Booth Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA
  • My husband, unfortunately, has a lazy eye that prevents him from viewing anything in 3D, so he just sat there watching all of us reach out to touch animals that weren't actually swimming towards us
  • But, it was a nice experience and the film was truly lovely to watch and partake of
  • And like most zoos, there were different exhibits for lizards and snakes and penguins (which is always my favorite), but I have to say that the best part of our day there was the Sting Ray exhibit
  • I love anything where you get to interact with the wildlife, which is ironic considering I'm one of those NOT-nature-oriented types
  • I know my kids are always asking when we can go back, even though they were pretty young at the time

• by Anasuya

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to spend a week at a rented beach house with my mother-in-law and husband and kids. Aside from the constantly wonderful view from our deck, there were also a ton of things to do while we were there (even if I was content to just sit in a chair outside with a pair of binnoculars and watch the dolphins swimming by every morning and afternoon). One of the things my mother-in-law was intent on us doing was visiting the Virginia Aquarium. I’ve never been to an aquarium before and, obviously, that means my kids hadn’t either, so we were all pretty excited about the excursion.

There was so much to do and see at the Aquarium that we ended up getting there at 10am and leaving at closing, and we still didn’t see and do everything there was. One thing we invest our time in was the IMAX under the sea 3D video. My husband, unfortunately, has

a lazy eye that prevents him from viewing anything in 3D, so he just sat there watching all of us reach out to touch animals that weren’t actually swimming towards us. It was nice, but I had to be convinced into doing it, because I knew we wouldn’t have neough time and there were other things I wanted to see and do while we were there. But, it was a nice experience and the film was truly lovely to watch and partake of.

And like most zoos, there were different exhibits for lizards and snakes and penguins (which is always my favorite), but I have to say that the best part of our day there was the Sting Ray exhibit. There is a large pool area connected to an even larger tank that the sting rays live in (but we don’t view the larger tank, just the small pool), and people can stand around the pool and reach down into the water and touch the ...

• sting rays as they swim by. The stingers were all removed, so there was certainly no danger at all involved, and there were attendants there at all times to make sure no one person monopolized all the time at the pool and made room for others who were waiting to try and touch the sting rays. It truly pained me to leave this exhibit, because I could’ve easily stayed there all day touching the stingrays as they swam by. And some of them actually seem to be particularly adventurous and would keep coming up to the hands and rubbing themselves against you. It was incredibly exciting to be a part of that and experience such an unusual creature this up close and personal. There were a lot of food vendors as well, but it was basic zoo-type of fair, hotdogs and nachos and hamburgers and things of the like, and nothing more tasty than McDonald’s, with prices pretty indicative of a zoo as well.

The

one thing I also would’ve loved to do, but we just didn’t have the time, is that you can actually get in the water and touch the seals as they swim by and play. It’s a 20 minute session, and the staff basically walks you through the training process with the harbor seals. I love anything where you get to interact with the wildlife, which is ironic considering I’m one of those NOT-nature-oriented types.

If I ever make it back to Virginia Beach, it wont be to see the ocean, or watch the dolphins (and scary sharks as well- we did see a few of those), but to visit the Aquarium and play with the sting rays and seals. I know my kids are always asking when we can go back, even though they were pretty young at the time. They still remember the entire week in Virginia, and our day at the Aquarium, as if it were yesterday. A must-visit place for you and/or your family.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381611894370630/k2311a1116/11.16.09