Luray Caverns  » Travel  »
101 Cave Hill Rd, Luray VA
  • It was a bit out of our way, but she kept telling me and my kids stories about taking my husband and his siblings to the caverns when they were little and how wonderful it was, and I couldn't help wondering if my kids would talk about this experience, with me, when they were older, like my husband was talking to his mother about his memories
  • Of course, when she took her kids, it was $7 to get in, and for some reason over the years, that cost tripled
  • It's now $21 per adult and I believe $10 for children
  • Unfortunately, an hour and a half later, my son and I were STILL in the maze
  • Though the caverns were beautiful, the tour has a time limit (about 45 minutes I think,

• by Anasuya

I don’t get much of an opportunity to travel and, when I do, I wouldn’t exactly say that I’m much for the “outdoors-y” type of stuff, unless it’s something of spiritual significance (like a hike to a Buddhist temple, for instance), but when my mother-in-law wanted us to stop at Luray Caverns on our way from Michigan to Virginia Beach for a week long vacation, I was pretty excited about the prospect. It was a bit out of our way, but she kept telling me and my kids stories about taking my husband and his siblings to the caverns when they were little and how wonderful it was, and I couldn’t help wondering if my kids would talk about this experience, with me, when they were older, like my husband was talking to his mother about his memories.

The one thing my mother-in-law commented on when we got there, was the price of admission. Of course, when she took her kids, it was $7 to get in, and for some

reason over the years, that cost tripled. It’s now $21 per adult and I believe $10 for children. Not exactly an economically sound side-trip when we’re on our place to a fantastic beach-side rented house. But, she wanted us to have this memory to share, so she paid the outrageous fees. It’s a guided tour through the caverns and, though you can take as many pictures as you like, you can’t leave the path and venture into the caverns on your own (for obvious safety reasons). The path is spacious, with railings on either side, so you don’t feel like you’re constantly bumping into other tourists, and there’s room to step aside and take family photos without all kinds of strangers showing up in your pictures. The tour guides were well-informed and entertaining, and it wasn’t a generic guided tour. It was educational, but also fun.

The kids had a good time.

They also have, on the grounds outside of the caves, a very large corn maze, which you have ...

• to pay a seperate entrance fee to get access too. I went into the maze with my husband and children, me with one child, him with the other, and beat each other who would get out first. Unfortunately, an hour and a half later, my son and I were STILL in the maze. It wasn’t a particularly lush part of the year, and the maze was a little see-through, as the foilage wasn’t as full as it normally is, and we ended up cheating by squeezing through open foilage. Not proper, I know, but I fear otherwise we’d have been in there for another two hours! It’s not REAL large, but it’s certainly confusing and entertaining. We had a blast there.

The gift shop was jam-packed full of people, so I didn’t really have the opportunity to shop as leisurely as I’d have preferred, but there were nice places to get something to eat, and they also even had a car and carriage museum… not exactly my cup of tea,

but my kids and husband enjoyed that portion of our stop. So, basically, $120 and about six hours later, and we’d had a pretty entertaining and exhausting afternoon, and we laughed about that stupid corn maze for a good three weeks straight. I’ve spent about that much during an afternoon at the zoon, so I can’t really complain about the costs too much. The maze was, in and of itself, probably the mostly lengthy entertaining point of the whole excursion. Though the caverns were beautiful, the tour has a time limit (about 45 minutes I think,… maybe 30), and once you leave, you’re time is done and you can’t keep revisiting it without buying another ticket (something I hope they considering changing in the future, because I could’ve easily spent all day just re-taking the tour of those beautiful caverns over and over again). But, there’s plenty to do and see and eat, and lots of fun to be had. Worth the side-trip and the extra two hour drive out of our way.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381611894360630/k2311a1116/11.16.09