Kenmore electric self cleaning freestanding range  » Housewares  »
  • Our gas got cut off and I had to go electric, unfortunately, because I definitely prefer cooking with gas
  • I bought this kenmore stove used for $250
  • I noticed how some water splashed out of a boiling pot one day and some of the water would travel underneath the pot and this would cause the pot to wobble on the uneven surface

• by ecotester

Our gas got cut off and I had to go electric, unfortunately, because I definitely prefer cooking with gas. I bought this kenmore stove used for $250. Brand new, the price ranges from about $600 plus.

The stove features smooth ceramic top cooking surface, 2 small elements, 2 dual elements (small/large) and a warming element. After getting over how slow electric was compared to gas, I am now okay with the time it takes to heat up. Not superfast but not bad.

The glass top is relatively easy to keep clean so long as you wipe it down after each and every use. If you’re lazy and tend to let messes sit a while, getting hardened messes off the glass top can be really hard to do.

I noticed how some water splashed out of a boiling

pot one day and some of the water would travel underneath the pot and this would cause the pot to wobble on the uneven surface. Somewhat dangerous.

The self cleaning feature is excellent. Once started, the door locks so that the cleaning process cannot be interupted. One time I had a little too much stuff on the bottom though and I watched as it caught on fire. Thankfully, it didn’t get any worse and eventually went out. The oven definetly gets cleaned. No more Easy Off!

The convection feature is also good as I can bake more trays of cookies now more evenly. The bottom tray of cookies still tends to come out a little more cooked than the top though so it’s not as even as I’d hope it to be but still ...

• better than my last stove. Also, it is air tight. I have two small children that like to hang around the oven and press up against it. The outside does not get hot. No heat leaking from the seams either. My kids are safe in this aspect.

The sliding drawer underneath is big and spacious but is a little difficult to open. We have also encountered problems with the tabs in the sliders popping out and this would cause the drawer to not shut properly.

I’m still trying to figure out how to get the glass off the front door so I can clean the messes that found their way in between and got trapped. I had a few digital probems so far as well where I once was unable to turn the light

or timer off. I had to wait for the timer to finish and then I could turn them both off. Also there is a light indicator on both sides of the control panel that lets you know the surface is hot. The lights do not correspond correctly to the side that is hot.

I was about to do the self clean when after I pressed the start button I realized I still had something in the oven. I was able to cancel the self clean but the door remained locked. I had to pry the lock open, not an easy thin to do and dangerous. I was also afraid I had ruined it by doing this but it worked again the next time.

Overall, this stove is decent. I like it, it works for me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531511894030730/k2311a1115/11.15.09