Twilight  » Books  »
2.0
  • And, since I found it in a bargain bin at Wal-mart (usually not a good sign for books by the way), I figured I would give it a chance
  • The problem with this book is it is a nice romance novel
  • They don’t fry when they are in the sunlight and, even though they all hate the fact they are vampires and go out of their way to avoid being what they are supposed to be, Edward’s family still thinks it’s OK that they became vampires in the first place
  • I think the story would have been better if the writer would have taken things a step further and, instead of telling the story from Bella’s point of view, she should have given a first person account from Edward’s point of view
  • But, then again, I’m not a teenaged girl so what do I know

• by Steve

OK, I hated the movie but people kept telling me the book Twilight was really good. And, since I found it in a bargain bin at Wal-mart (usually not a good sign for books by the way), I figured I would give it a chance. I was right, it wasn’t very good. Well, I should re-phrase that. It is an OK book.

But, it is OK in the same way Harlequin romance books are. In other words, if you are of the right gender and age, you probably will love it. But, if you are someone like me and likes books that are somewhat different, then this isn’t a book (or series) for you. The problem with this book is it is a nice romance novel.

But, it is pretty much the same as every other romance novel I’ve ever seen. The only

difference is the love interest is a vampire instead of a married man or a sea captain about to go off on a year long whaling voyage. In other words, the attraction is there because women apparently like being with men they shouldn’t be with. I guess I should elaborate more in case you have been living under a rock and haven’t heard of this series (or seen the movie).

Basically, the story is told from the perspective of a teenaged girl who falls in love with a strange loner named Edward. After being with him for some time and him saving her life, she learns he is a vampire. But, he’s a good (read, wimpy) vampire. He doesn’t kill people and he and his family instead get their blood from harmless woodland animals; because, you know, that is so much less cruel than killing a pimp or something.

Much like I felt with the movie, I honestly hate how the writer makes vampires look so cool. They don’t fry when they are in the sunlight and, even though they all hate the fact they are vampires and go out of their way to avoid being what they are supposed to be, Edward’s family still thinks it’s OK that they became vampires in the first place. Honestly, why convert them if you aren’t going to let them be what they are. And, while there is that element of danger because she is dating someone that could snap and try to kill her; it’s roughly the same danger Buffy had when she dated Angel in Buffy the Vampire Slayer; in other words, it’s been done plenty of times before and the writer isn’t really introducing anything that ...

• Twilight
      is a new concept or anything.

The thing about this book is it really could have been a lot better if the writer would have taken the time to think things through and change the point of view of the story a bit. What I mean by this is this; the story, as written, is told from Bella’s perspective. In other words, everything about Edward is told through her words and her emotions; something, once again, has been done in just about every other romance novel ever written. I think the story would have been better if the writer would have taken things a step further and, instead of telling the story from Bella’s point of view, she should have given a first person account from Edward’s point of view.

The advantage of this is you can have much more of a psychological

novel without taking away from the love story. Edward sees Bella and is attracted to her. But, he doesn’t want to get to close because of his secret. However, through fate, he finds himself having to interact with her and his emotions get the best of him.

But, he still has an inner struggle. Does he tell her what he is? How can he cope with the feelings he has when he also smells her blood and is hungry? What does his family really think of her (they aren’t going to tell the truth when she’s in the room). I think doing something like that would put this book more at the same level as books like Dracula and Interview with a Vampire rather than the Babysitters Club. In other words, it would have appealed to a much wider audience than it does now.

But, then again, I’m not a teenaged girl so what do I know.

Twilight

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171411893681230/k2311a1114/11.14.09