Slap Chop  » Housewares  »
2.5
  • I am embarrassed to admit that I bought an item that I saw on a television infomercial
  • I saw the Slap Chop advertised on television, and because of the low price, $19.95, I decided I really could use this product while I was away from home to make my life easier
  • They also threw in a mini cheese grater, but I also had to pay for shipping and handling, so in reality, it cost me $29.00
  • Still, it is convenient with onions and garlic
  • The small cheese grater that came with my order is great, and I like it better than the Slap Chop itself

• by Jessie Bahrey

I am embarrassed to admit that I bought an item that I saw on a television infomercial. I saw an advertisement program for Slap Chop, which is a small, portable devise that chops, slices, and minces items quickly. Now, because I am away from my home for some months, and left many of my small appliances behind, I have been without my food processor. I saw the Slap Chop advertised on television, and because of the low price, $19.95, I decided I really could use this product while I was away from home to make my life easier. I called the number that was on the screen, and ordered a Slap Chop. They also threw in a mini cheese grater, but I also had to pay for shipping and handling, so in reality, it cost me $29.00. I did receive my Slap Chop in

one week, which is pretty fast, and I read through the instructions. This item is supposed to chop, dice and mince vegetables, nuts and fruits with just a slap, and several slaps will continue the process until you get the desired texture that you want. The blades do not need to be changed at all, and it also claims that you can put onions and garlic unpeeled, and after dicing, the skin will be left in the container. It also says that it is easy to clean, as it pops open with one finger, so I gave it a try that evening when I made dinner.

I tried a medium-sized onion first, but it immediately overflowed in the container, and I had to put it in again, a half at a time. The skin did not really come off well either, and I had to ...

• peel it with my hands. The garlic worked better, but it certainly is not quite as simple as pressing down with one finger and getting the results. Several slaps were needed. Still, it is convenient with onions and garlic. However, after several times of using it, I discovered that all the items that you put inside the Slap Chop need to be cut in to small pieces first, or the canister will become clogged and not chop at all. The skin doesn’t truly come off effortlessly, as you still need to peel some of it yourself. Soft vegetables and fruits, like tomatoes, bananas, apples and such things have to be cut into small pieces first as well, and only then does this product work very well. As for easy cleaning, it is NOT dishwasher safe, which for me is a hugely negative aspect. I
        have to wash it by hand, which is time-consuming. As well, it does not appear to be very durable or strong. It has not fallen apart yet, but it does seem flimsy, and I find myself worrying that it will break at any time. The small cheese grater that came with my order is great, and I like it better than the Slap Chop itself.

So, in conclusion, I would recommend Slap Chop to people that need a small, convenient food processor, but who don’t expect great quality. It does save time with chopping, dicing and mincing certain foods, but don’t expect to just put in the food and have it come out all ready to go; it actually requires you to cut everything into small pieces. I also dislike the fact that you have to wash it by hand. Still, for the price, it is a decent product.

Slap Chop
    Grandma J says :

One of the first uses, the plastic disc moved, and before I knew it was broken, where can you get another disc ?

Galega says :

You can get compatible disc from any store selling kitchen items and accessories. You may not find original disc in the market. See this is sold through television advertisement and you are required to place an order to get it. Slap Chop is not available in retail market. Hence, expecting its disc to be available will be wrong.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531211891520530/k2311a1112/11.12.09