Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals  » Games  »
1.0
  • Beast Wars Transmetals is a video game for the Nintendo 64 that I recall being very excited over when I first rented it, but once I started playing the game, I found my excitement drain even before the first fight had finished
  • Now I love the series, but this game is just plain bad
  • There are invisible walls though, so the battlefields actually are not that big nor are they remotely interesting
  • The game forces players to transform because of energon build-up, which should not even be an issue because in the show, the transmetal forms almost always provide effective protection against energon build-up
  • About the only thing this game has going for it is the voice acting, which is unfortunately very limited

• by GenesisOne

Transformers: Beast Wars Transmetals is a video game for the Nintendo 64 that I recall being very excited over when I first rented it, but once I started playing the game, I found my excitement drain even before the first fight had finished. Now I love the series, but this game is just plain bad. First of all, it is a fighting game that lacks a story. There are no missions - like take out Megatron’s jamming station or recover a stasis pod before the Predicons, missions that were depicted on the television show.

There is no mention or presence of the Vok - the alien race that appeared or was the subject of around five or six episodes of the series and attempted to destroy the Transformers on more than one occasion. There are no missions that involve infiltrating the Predicon base or defending the Maximal base. Nothing that would give this game substance and make it feel like the series was implemented.

Instead, the game is pure fighting:

I pick a character, Maximal or Predicon, and then, the game takes me to a battlefield where I face off with my opponent. This is a 3-D open arena fighting game, meaning the action takes place in an environment where I can turn left, right, forward and backwards and move to an extent. There are invisible walls though, so the battlefields actually are not that big nor are they remotely interesting.

They don’t even impact the fighting in any way! It is not like I can shield myself momentarily behind rocks or cargo containers in one of the bases - none of which by the way make an appearance, sadly. Then there is the fighting - which mainly takes place at a distance because hand to hand combat is often unresponsive and cumbersome to hand due to the game not always processing impacts correctly and one direct hit always knocks my opponents on his or her back, making hand to hand combat somewhat dull and frustrating - especially when playing ...

• against the CPU as it will just blast me close range with an energy weapon. Long range battles become dull quickly because it amounts to nothing more than shooting energy weapons at each other.

Next to no strategy - just who can pull off the quicker shots and who can unleash his or her ultimate attack first - an attack that cannot be dodged and cannot miss its mark. Talk about cheap and idiotic! No matter where I launch my ultimate attack, it will always land a hit. When my opponent launches his or her final attack, I cannot dodge it, no way, no how.

Then there are the pointless beast and vehicle modes. If this were an action and adventure type game with missions, both modes would be valuable. In this game though, they are useless because neither mode has energy weapons and if my opponent is in robot mode, I have very little hope of surviving.

The game forces players to transform because of energon build-up, which should

not even be an issue because in the show, the transmetal forms almost always provide effective protection against energon build-up. Another thing that I do not like is that the camera is constantly moving! As I move, the camera moves, and sometimes jerks violently when I am in vehicle mode because my character is moving quickly due to the quicker nature of the vehicle modes. There is also a dull mini-game mode that features a very small selection of games, like two characters racing towards a cliff, slamming on their brakes, and hoping that he or she is the one to stop closet to the edge.

This is an all-around poorly developed game that is superficial in its fighting style and lacks the excitement and thrill of the show and instead settles for a visually ugly fighting game that offers very little in terms of fun or depth. About the only thing this game has going for it is the voice acting, which is unfortunately very limited. Overall, a real disappoint for fans of the show.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 281211891450530/k2311a1112/11.12.09