Sony Voice Operated Recording (VOR) Cassette Recorder
  • They have a private tutor for this (written and oral classes at home) but unfortunately, she does not have the appropriate recording device
  • I thought cassette recorders have become things of the past
  • I was glad I found the Sony VOR cassette recorder and bought it for about $60
  • I must say I was impressed because this cassette recorder picked up every little background noise, even the soft rustling of papers
  • I would definitely recommend this product should you have a need for a sensitive and quality voice recorder device

• by bethbarl

My kids are currently doing a long distance French language course with textbooks and course content coming from the distance learning school in Toulouse) apart from regular day school. One of the requirements of this language course is to submit recorded speech material for evaluation in France. They have a private tutor for this (written and oral classes at home) but unfortunately, she does not have the appropriate recording device.

It was my job to provide one and I had to go to several shops before I actually found what I was looking for. I thought cassette recorders

have become things of the past. I was glad I found the Sony VOR cassette recorder and bought it for about $60. Quite pricey but I had no choice because I needed this device.

It is just a bit thicker than my agenda and is very light. The few buttons are quite self-explanatory (record, play, rewind, stop, pause and forward). There is also a slow speed control which you can use should you wish to decipher inaudible speech. In addition, it can continuously record for 50 hours although I don’t need this much of recording time ...

• for my kids’ oral exams.

I tested how the quality of the recorded speech turned out by letting my kids read a written paragraph. I must say I was impressed because this cassette recorder picked up every little background noise, even the soft rustling of papers. What was very good though was that the recorded voice was very clear and audible, more of the voice and less of the background noise.

It is a very good recording device to check how my kids are sounding when they speak French. I could immediately detect when they have speech

and accent errors during playback. It also enabled me to send recorded cassettes to the distance learning school.

My only complaint is, I have not yet found the correct adaptor which could run it on electricity. I am using normal or rechargeable batteries but this might not be cost-effective in the long run.

For the moment, the product serves its purpose – that of providing high quality voice recording results. In addition, it is quite portable and very practical to carry around. I would definitely recommend this product should you have a need for a sensitive and quality voice recorder device.

theresa says :

I have asimlar recorder from many years ago. I tried to find an DC adapter and then was told that it requires a Sony proprietary connector. My suggestion get recharagable batteries.

bethbarl replies :

I agree. Using rechargeable batteries is the most cost-effective way at the moment. I tried my cell phone charger it nearly fitted but was not good enough. I will find one soon, I hope.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161211890700430/k2311a1112/11.12.09