McDaniel College
2 College Hill, Westminster, MD 21157
  • While the study of journalism wasn't for me, I discovered that I enjoyed writing soft news and now use the skills I learned at McDaniel in my freelance writing endeavors

• by Tara M. Clapper

McDaniel College is a small, private liberal arts college in central Maryland. They offer undergraduate and graduate studies and are noted for their education and deaf studies programs.

-Explore many areas of study- This is a wonderful school for a student who may enter as ‘undeclared’ because there is an opportunity for study in various subjects over the first two years. For students who know what they want to do, it may be possible to test into higher level classes even in the first semester.

-Size- McDaniel is relatively small. It’s large enough

to always meet new people, but small enough to recognize people wherever you go. This creates a sense of departmental unity in most educational departments.

-Big fish, little pond- I was able to try things at McDaniel I would not have been able to try at other schools. For example, I was a music minor and got to participate in large-scale music activities. This really boosted my confidence level and helps me now in my career. Incidentally, I never stopped singing because of the positive influence of music at McDaniel.

It was also ...

• easy to become involved in extracurricular activities. Even though I was not studying journalism, I was able to achieve section editorship of the school paper. While the study of journalism wasn’t for me, I discovered that I enjoyed writing soft news and now use the skills I learned at McDaniel in my freelance writing endeavors.

-Greek life- Greek life is available at McDaniel, but there is also a large segment of independent students. This is in part due to the support of affinity groups and affinity housing–students in a particular club or

interest group can apply for their own housing.

-Independent study projects- McDaniel is open to offering students the opportunity to create independent study projects with professors, tightening their scope of interest in their field. I was able to complete such a project and learned about early music and partsinging, which I now utilize at live action role playing games.

-Recognition- McDaniel is a locally-recognized school. If you want to begin a career in the DC metro region, McDaniel is regarded as a decent and reputable school. Beyond Maryland, Virginia, and DC, many people do not currently know of the institution.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 50711888540530/k2311a117/11.7.09