Pluto is not a planet…  » Other  »
2.0
  • This was in the early days of manned space flight and every boy and girl wanted to be an astronaut
  • I loved the mnemonic device designed to teach kids the names of the planet

• by tfedge
      I’m very unhappy with the International Astronomical Union. They had declared that Pluto is not a planet. Instead they have declared it a “dwarf planet.

” How sad! How unfair!

I grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona, where Clyde Tombaugh discovered the planet Pluto. I remember with the Tab Book Club brought out a book called “The Search for Planet X” that was the story of the planet’s discovery.

Every boy in my fourth grade class, and many of the

girls as well, paid thirty-five cents for the book and read it. It was neat!

This was in the early days of manned space flight and every boy and girl wanted to be an astronaut.

It was really neat. And because Pluto had been discovered in Flagstaff, it made us feel like part of the space race.

It was really neat. I remember our class going on a field trip where we got to visit the library and ...

• see the very telescope at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, AZ.

We got to see and lift a piece of the meteor that had formed Meteor Crater, located near Flagstaff. It was really neat too.

I visited the observatory in celebration of my 50th birthday and saw the same library and the same telescope plus four more, and it was still neat!

I loved the mnemonic device designed to teach kids the names of the planet. “My very

educated mother just showed us nine plants” helped you remember “Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Pluto.

“My very educated mother just showed us nine. ” It doesn’t work! That is not neat.

For me, Pluto, you will always be a planet. I will always feel akin to you.

Pluto is, was, and always will be a planet. On the other hand, I have just declared the International Astronomical Union a drawf union that lacks to power to strip Pluto of its planetary status.

Neat!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 12290888700731/k2311a0829/8.29.06