Tori Amos: From the Choirgirl Hotel Sheet Music book
  • And as both a Tori fan and a new pianist, a couple years ago I purchased via Amazon a copy of her sheet music book for the album, which I believe is now out-of-print and thus slightly difficult to find
  • This may not work well for regular pianos, but electronic keyboardists should have no problem
  • The music itself is very different from what Tori actually plays, especially on songs like Iieee, which has a completely different live version and was the main reason I bought the book
  • I think the main idea behind the composite was to create a balance of detail and skill requirement, which means a basically skilled pianist can still enjoy being able to play all the songs
  • For those who are looking to play her songs exactly, however, this is definitely a skip

• by mhoppal

In 1998, Tori Amos released my favorite of her albums to date: From the Choirgirl Hotel. And as both a Tori fan and a new pianist, a couple years ago I purchased via Amazon a copy of her sheet music book for the album, which I believe is now out-of-print and thus slightly difficult to find.

The cover illustration matches the album art and does not add anything new. The pages at the beginning are glossy, thicker, magazine-like paper which can be difficult to read under bright

lights at the wrong angles. Fortunately, the only information of interest here is a table of contents.

The sheet music is printed on thick, plain, white paper. The book can be kind of difficult to keep open while playing, so I employed clothes pins to prop it open. This may not work well for regular pianos, but electronic keyboardists should have no problem.

The music itself is very different from what Tori actually plays, especially on songs like Iieee, which has a completely different live version and was ...

• the main reason I bought the book. As such, it can be disappointing for anybody not well-versed in improvisation, playing by ear, and filling in the skeletons of patterns.

The book also provides guitar tabs, which is nice if you want to share with a friend who does not play piano. I do not play guitar, so I cannot know for certain, but I am willing to bet the tabs are equally skeletal.

I think the main idea behind the composite was to create a balance of detail

and skill requirement, which means a basically skilled pianist can still enjoy being able to play all the songs. I would have preferred more detail and a better balance, but I suppose they did a good enough job to keep me satisfied. I also would have preferred some contribution of stories or artwork, or anything else making the purchase unique.

For any Tori fan, this book is a wonderful buy. For those who are looking to play her songs exactly, however, this is definitely a skip.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17611886621230/k2311a116/11.6.09