LG Internal 16x Super Multi DVD/CD Rewriter or GSA-H10N  » Computers  »
  • On the cover of box it states ‘from the leaders in optical drive technology’ and from my experience with the product I’ve confirmed that it lives up to what it says, thus solidifying my belief in LG product quality
  • In my opinion, its strongest point is durability
  • Almost 4 years down, It’s still alive and I’ve noticed no noticeable slow downs or errors in both reading and burning performance
  • So I’d recommend you don’t install it but instead install something more light and powerful like K-Lite or GOM Player in its place

• by Armando Dayrit II

On the cover of box it states ‘from the leaders in optical drive technology’ and from my experience with the product I’ve confirmed that it lives up to what it says, thus solidifying my belief in LG product quality. This piece of work really delivers and is one purchase that I have very few regrets with.

In my opinion, its strongest point is durability. Most DVD/CD writers go 1-2 years then eventually develop problems or break down. My GSA-H10N has been through quite a lot, as I do quite a lot of burning, almost on a daily basis. Almost 4 years down, It’s still alive and I’ve noticed no noticeable slow downs or errors in both reading and burning performance.

Some strong points for me include the following:

Not noisy

/> It does emit some kind sound of but it’s barely noticeable and thankfully not unpleasant.

Software bundle is solid, includes:

Nero 6

Standard Nero 6 which you can use for data, audio, video, etc burning. I’ve upgraded to Nero 9 and still no problems whatsoever.

InCD

Basically, with this you can burn onto your CD’s just by drag and dropping without going through the burning process. Though, in my opinion it’s useless as USB pen drives are available now.

Cyberlink’s PowerProducer and PowerDVD

PowerProducer, is similar to Windows Movie Maker but with more effects and transitions. As of late it’s now called PowerDirector.

PowerDVD, is a DVD player that’s heavy on system resources. So I’d recommend you don’t install it but instead install something more light and powerful like K-Lite or GOM Player ...

• in its place.

Super Multi

This feature is what most of box boasts about. This product can handle 3 of the most important and current DVD formats DVD+R, DVD-R and DVD-RAM. Not that it matters to the average user as I’m quite sure you’ll be using DVD+R most of the time.

Downsides:

No LightScribe

This is my only unhappy experience with this product. Apparently this DVD/CD writer has a twin brother the GSA-H10L. The GSA-H10L has LightScribe though! Had I been aware of this fact I would’ve bought the GSA-H10L instead!

ISSUES

I’ve encountered a few bumps in performance, these include:

Burning errors with unreliable CD/DVD Brands

Which means you can’t be cheap and stock up on DVD/CDs with never heard of brand names

Errors with burning at max speed for CDs

At the max CD

write speed of 48x there is a 1 in 10 chance for me to get a burning error. So far, burning at 24x-32x is the most reliable.

Problems reading low quality CD Brands

This is a pain, from where I come from people prefer to burn on never heard of brands. This CD/DVD Writer isn’t too sharp at detecting low quality or pirated CDs.

Problems reading medium to heavily scratched CDs

Not that you’re stupid enough to force it to read these kind of CDs but sometimes the situation arises when you need to recover data off a 10 year old dead looking CD. This CD/DVD Writer won’t help you there.

FINAL WORDS

The GSA-H10N is a great piece of work. Even if you see it at second hand don’t hesitate to buy it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 19611886431230/k2311a116/11.6.09