Nikon Nikkor18-105mm VR/NR Lens  » Cameras  »
  • I've since brought a 55-300 zoom lens which I love the shots I am getting from it, but it is not as versatile as my 18-105 - and there are situations where I simply cannot take a decent pic with the zoom

• by kimmyh51

I recently purchased my first DSLR camera, and of course needed to get a lens at the same time.

Id spent a bit of time researching the various options in DSLR camera bodies, but hadn’t thought about the lens until it came time to buy….

The camera I was buying was a Nikon D90 (actually I was going to get the D5000 but at the last minute went for the D90 instead)

Anyway, here I was on the phone buying my camera (a place at the other end of NZ was cheapest), when they asked me about a lens…. Being lucky enough to have a work colleague who moonlights as a photographer I quickly caught her attention and said ‘what lens do I want????’. My options were this one, or one which was 55-200mm. I would have gotten the 200 if left to my own devices (or should I say… lenses). The smaller the bottom number the wider angle you can get a

shot of - and the bigger the top number the further you can zoom in on something.

As anyone who has brought a Nikon DSLR will know, the lenses can be expensive - and being new to photography (well cameras at this level anyway!) I wanted to get something that was as broad in its scope as possible, - that would allow me to take close up, wide angle, action shots etc. I didn’t want to find my first lens was limited in an area that was going to frustrate me, and I wanted to be able to photograph most situations.

My workmate said that the 55-200 which was the one I was going to get (thinking - cool - zoom) would not have a very wide angle, and it didnt have vibration reduction. She also said that it was a good idea to have one ‘all purpose’ lens, as it got heavy really fast taking lots of lens out and about.

So ...

• I took her advice and got the Nikkor 18-105 lens.

I would say to anyone who is getting their first D-SLR or who is after a good all purpose lens that this is a good one to look at. its a 68mm lens so quite a big diameter and I found that the zoom on it ‘feels’ bigger than a friends (I think 70) - 200 lens which was a much smaller diameter. Its wide enough to get a landscape shot in, zoomy enough get by, and the vibration and noise reduction are a nice forgiving feature that makes those first few photos so much more satisfying…

For about the first 6 months this was my only lens and I have taken pictures of animals, (including jumping in mid-air), landscapes, light shots, portraits and more. I’ve since brought a 55-300 zoom lens which I love the shots I am getting from it, but it is not as versatile as my 18-105 -

and there are situations where I simply cannot take a decent pic with the zoom. The zoom also has a very small area in focus, so if you are taking shots of lots of people or things happening or things that move fast you need the 18-105…

For its purpose I really cant fault it - I’ve had lots of good pics wit it. If you want something specific like macro, zoom, fast camera with really low aperture, wide angle, this lens is a little bit of all, but not any of them (if that makes sense).

Summary - a nice all purpose lens or first lens, zoom feels bigger than it is thanks to the larger diameter, versatile and lightweight. The other options I have seen people get with a first lens seems to be either 55-200 or 70-200 or 18-55. From what I have seen, 18-55 doesn’t have enough zoom and would frustrate me, and the 55/70-200 is not wide angle enough.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 43411885230530/k2311a114/11.4.09