Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation  » Cosmetics  »
1.5
  • As a newbie to the world of mineral makeup, I decided to try as many brands as possible before deciding which foundation was right for me
  • I was looking for a product that worked, and I thought it was silly to get bogged down in the technicalities
  • Overall, I think that the Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation is just a clever marketing scheme designed to trick the consumer into thinking that she's getting a mineral makeup, when in reality it's just the same old formulations with a new name and different packaging
  • True mineral foundations offer coverage and skincare benefits that are missing entirely from the Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation, and I am very disappointed in my purchase

• by Motts

As a newbie to the world of mineral makeup, I decided to try as many brands as possible before deciding which foundation was right for me. Since I had previously used Mary Kay Medium Coverage Liquid Foundation, I had high hopes for their mineral foundation. I already knew that Mary Kay would probably offer a shade that would work with my skin tone, and I’ve been very pleased with all of the Mary Kay face makeup that I’d tried in the past. So I ordered the Mineral Powder Foundation set in shade Bronze 2 from an eBay seller. The set included the Mary Kay Mineral Powder Brush.

The Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation has caused some controversy in the mineral makeup world, because it’s not a 100% natural product. The main selling point of mineral makeup is that it’s free of harmful chemicals–mineral foundations are usually made from titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, boron nitrate, and iron oxides: those four ingredients and nothing else. Many people are upset that the Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation is talc-based, but talc is actually a mineral, so

I didn’t worry too much about that ingredient. Some people have sensitivities to talc, but I don’t. I was looking for a product that worked, and I thought it was silly to get bogged down in the technicalities.

I loved the price of the Mary Kay mineral powder; I was able to purchase the full-sized foundation and the brush for around $15. As soon as I opened the jar, I saw that the foundation color would be perfect for me, and I was very pleased. The fact that the product was talc-based also meant that it would provide outstanding oil control, and my oily skin is one of my main makeup concerns. So far, so good. I brushed the foundation onto my skin, and it felt incredibly lightweight, much lighter than some of the other brands I’d tried. I was very happy with the product.

After wearing the mineral foundation for a few days, I came to realize that it provides only a very light coverage. This foundation is simply not designed to allow for a buildable coverage, no matter how much I ...

• brushed on. Since I was looking for something to help cover blemishes, I could tell that I wouldn’t be able to use the Mary Kay Mineral Powder as my main foundation. For me, it’s more suited for use as a finishing powder, or I could wear it on days when my skin was clear and I didn’t need a lot of coverage.

The mineral powder does an excellent job at controlling shine from oil breakthrough. But sometimes my skin is dehydrated, and I needed a foundation formula that would be able to balance the oiliness and the dryness. Mary Kay mineral powder actually exacerbated my dry patches, making them look rough and flaky. This gave me an uneven finish, and that’s the last thing any woman wants from her foundation. I also found that the powder gave me a slightly cakey look–it behaved like a traditional powder foundation, settling into fine lines and giving a mask-like finish. This is when I began to understand the importance of a pure mineral formulation…Mary Kay had basically used a traditional powder makeup and added a

few minerals for color– it was not a true mineral makeup, so it didn’t give the flawless finish that mineral foundations are famous for. I began to understand why mineral makeup advocates were upset with the Mary Kay company for claiming that their new formula was a mineral foundation, when it’s clearly not.

Overall, I think that the Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation is just a clever marketing scheme designed to trick the consumer into thinking that she’s getting a mineral makeup, when in reality it’s just the same old formulations with a new name and different packaging. True mineral foundations offer coverage and skincare benefits that are missing entirely from the Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation, and I am very disappointed in my purchase. Also, the Mineral Powder brush that came with my foundation set is sub-par. The bristles are quite rough, and it would be impossible to get a satisfactory foundation application using this brush. This product was basically a waste of money, and I join the other mineral makeup advocates in saying shame on Mary Kay for peddling such an inferior, dishonest product.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 313110882240931/k2311a1031/10.31.09