Lush Cosmetics “A Crash Course in Skincare” Fresh Face Mask  » Cosmetics  »
1.0
  • I got the mask home, only to discover that it is definitely a clay-based mask
  • I also noticed a slight burning sensation on areas of my face, but this went away after the mask dried
  • Never in my wildest dreams did I think that a mask designed to soothe and calm sensitive skin would actually eat through the areas that were sensitive
  • But it is definitely not the best choice for those with dry, dehydrated, sensitive skin, and it left my skin in worse shape than when I started

• by Motts

I’m a HUGE fan of the Fresh Face Masks from Lush Cosmetics. They have saved my skin on so many occasions, and I try to keep one on hand at least 3 weeks out of every month. I usually use the ones designed for oily or combination skin, but my skin has been awfully dehydrated lately, so this time I got one of the masks designed for drier skin. I chose “A Crash Course in Skincare” from the offerings at my local Lush store.

A Crash Course in Skincare is an avocado and yogurt mask, with lemon juice added for toning and cleansing effects, and essential oils of lavender, lemongrass, sandalwood, and chamomile to soothe the skin. I was primarily interested in the moisturizing effects of the fresh avocado, and the calming effects of the fresh yogurt. I

am still getting used to the recent redesign of Lush’s UK website, so I wasn’t able to find the ingredient listing on the product page (I later found it, under the Q.I. tab). So I made my decision based on the customer reviews on the site, and one reviewer stated that this is not a clay-based mask. I got the mask home, only to discover that it is definitely a clay-based mask…kaolin is the second ingredient, and talc is the fifth ingredient! (Both clay and talc are drying to skin.) So I was a little apprehensive, but I have complete faith in Lush’s ability to make products that live up to their promises, so I expected that A Crash Course in Skincare would be calming and soothing to my skin.

My face has been horribly dry and flaky lately, with surface dehydration, inflammation, and irritation. I’m also recovering from a nasty bout of acne, and there is nothing worse (or harder to treat) than dry, pimply skin. I smoothed A Crash Course in Skincare over a clean, dry face, and let it sit for a bit longer than the recommended 5-10 minutes–I always allow masks to remain on my face until they’re dry. The mask dried very quickly, due to the high clay content, and my skin felt taut and tight underneath the dried mask…this was not the feeling I was hoping for! I also noticed a slight burning sensation on areas of my face, but this went away after the mask dried. I did like the fact that A Crash Course in Skincare is very smooth, creamy, and easy to apply, and the light ...

• Lush Cosmetics
      lemon scent was pleasant.

After rinsing the mask off, my skin did not feel much softer or smoother, and it definitely wasn’t well moisturized. The worst part was that upon rinsing, I saw that there were 3 raw spots on my face–open sores where the skin had been completely stripped off. I couldn’t believe it. I’m guessing that the burning sensation I experienced after application of the mask was the lemon juice eating through the areas of my skin where I had fresh acne scars. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that a mask designed to soothe and calm sensitive skin would actually eat through the areas that were sensitive! I can’t even begin to express how upset and angry I am…my skin has a tendency towards hyperpigmentation, and it will take my poor face

MONTHS to heal from this disaster! In addition, the open sores were now tender and sensitive to the touch…so this mask did NOT do a good job of calming or soothing my skin.

The one good thing I did notice was that A Crash Course in Skincare did an excellent job of bringing blackheads to the surface. I have not noticed this effect from any of Lush’s other masks that are specifically designed for this purpose, such as Mask of Magnaminty or Love Lettuce, so I guess A Crash Course in Skincare would be a good mask for people with oily/combination skin and clogged pores. But it is definitely not the best choice for those with dry, dehydrated, sensitive skin, and it left my skin in worse shape than when I started. I will not be buying this mask again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 313010882130231/k2311a1030/10.30.09