Lost Odyssey (Xbox360)  » Games  »
  • Thanks to Lost Odyssey, I got to experience another epic RPG which is very similar to Final Fantasy
  • In my opinion, the CG cutscenes are comparable, if not better, to other full length CG movies like Final Fantasy
  • The game itself is long but the story is quite good that I found myself wanting to play long hours just to see what happens next
  • For the gameplay, what I love about this is that it is your traditional turn-based battle system wherein the game waits for your input before the active character does its move
  • This is not really a problem, but for me, since I do not have the luxury of time anymore as I work in long hours, it becomes a frustration

• by twiddle

Traditional turn-based RPG is becoming rare with the current generation systems. I miss those RPGs similar to the old Final Fantasy games. Thanks to Lost Odyssey, I got to experience another epic RPG which is very similar to Final Fantasy. For me, it actually looks and feels like Final Fantasy. I can say that it is a Final Fantasy game which is just not titled as such.

The production value is really top notch. From the CG cutscenes to the in-game menu, I can see the hard work put up by their team. The character models, the background, the environment and the level design are beautiful. They really pushed the Xbox 360’s power to its limit. In my opinion, the CG cutscenes are comparable, if not better, to other full length CG movies like Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.

A very quick summary about the game’s story is that you have a group of ‘immortals’ who has little or no memory of their past and as you play

through the game, they get to remember bits and pieces of it. The game itself is long but the story is quite good that I found myself wanting to play long hours just to see what happens next.

For the gameplay, what I love about this is that it is your traditional turn-based battle system wherein the game waits for your input before the active character does its move. This type of battle system lets me take control of each of my characters compared to real-time action battle wherein I am able to control one of my characters at a time. Some people find this boring, but for me, this is system offers different style of strategy and planning. I get to study my own statistics as well as my enemies’ before entering my final command input. As I am controlling each of my character’s moves, I get to see and play with all of their special moves and spells which is what I like especially when fighting against ...

• enemy bosses. One cool thing during battle is that since some of my characters are ‘immortal’, after they get knocked out in the middle of a battle, after a few turns they get up on their own, which I think fulfills the concept of them being as what they are.

Another thing I love about this traditional style RPGs is I start off with one town or village, then explore some areas or dungeons and fight dozens of monsters through random battles, then end my short journey after discovering a new village. Then I take a break by reviewing my characters’ status and statistics through the in-game menu, checking their experience and new acquired abilities. For each new village, I get to buy new items for my characters and outfit them with better equipment. All These are typical in most RPGs and they always work for me. Add in additonal features like crafting your own items and equipment and plenty of sidequests and I am going to have a

blast playing that game.

What I did not like about the game is that in a lot of areas, it will take time before I reach the next savepoint. Aside from that is the numerous random battles that when put together, requires long hours of play time in one sitting. This is not really a problem, but for me, since I do not have the luxury of time anymore as I work in long hours, it becomes a frustration. There are times wherein I am already halfway through my exploration, but I really need to give up and put down the controller as I need to rest to prepare for tomorrow’s work. That is about 1-2 hours of wasted play time as well as wasted rest time.

Overall, the game is simply beautiful and if you are looking for Final Fantasy type of game, this is it.

In summary, here are some of my notes: - A very long traditional turn-based RPG.

- Very similar to Final Fantasy.

- Equipment, magic, crafting, sidequests galore.

- Recommended for RPG fans.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 282910880600831/k2311a1029/10.29.09