Del Monte’s Pineapple Recipe  » Recipes  »
  • I decided using Libby’s Vienna sausage as the alternative
  • I prefer frying the shrimps because I don’t like the strong aftertaste of an uncooked shrimp
  • I also chose the sweet onion (white) because I found this onion doesn’t have a strong characteristic onion aftertaste (unlike the red one) when eaten or even when preparing it too

• by ossiriand10

For those who enjoy making 30-minute recipes and who are on the look-out for versatile dishes to experiment, you may like to try Del Monte’s Pineapple Fried Rice recipe. It is a complete meal in itself.

Ingredients: 1/3 pc Chinese Chorizo diced (2 ½ tbsp) 3 Cloves garlic, finely crushed 1 tbsp chopped onion (I chose the white kind) 3½ tbsp chopped carrot (optional) 3 pc medium shrimps, peeled and sliced (I prefer to fry them first) 1 pc small egg beaten ¾-1 tbsp of patis (fish sauce) 115 g (1 pouch) Del Monte Pineapple tidbits, drained 1/3 cup finely shredded cabbage (optional) 2 cups cooked long-grain rice

I didn’t like Chorizo because it always leaves me with a strong aftertaste as if I

had taken a cough syrup medicine. I decided using Libby’s Vienna sausage as the alternative. I chose this brand of sausage because for me, it has just the right amount of spiciness that doesn’t overwhelm the meal at the end of cooking. The other brands of sausages such as Hormel and PureFoods don’t mix well either because they’re not spicy or too spicy to make a good blend.

I sauté the sliced sausages on Canola oil until its golden brown and the spicy aroma has been released from the sausages. I then take it out. I add Canola oil if needed to sauté garlic, onion, carrots and fried sliced shrimps.

I prefer frying the shrimps because I don’t like the strong aftertaste of ...

• an uncooked shrimp. For me, frying the shrimps first, adds to the tastiness of the meal. I also chose the sweet onion (white) because I found this onion doesn’t have a strong characteristic onion aftertaste (unlike the red one) when eaten or even when preparing it too.

Then, I add the egg and cook until its set.

Next, I added the golden brown sausages, patis (fish sauce). You can decide how little or how much to add. For me, adding ¾ of it, sufficed. I also didn’t like the meal to smell too much of the fish sauce to overwhelm dish. I then added the Del Monte Pineapple tidbits, cabbage and rice. At this point, the scrambled egg adds color to the dish. Mixed

them well and cooked for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.

This dish makes 2-½ servings.

The ingredients of the recipe are easy to get from the grocery which I liked because searching for hard-to-find ingredients not only wastes my time, I also tend to lose interest in the recipe very quickly too.

The end product was delicious. The enticing smell of spice aroma makes my mouth water. I was tempted to finish off the second bowl but stopped myself in time since I also cooked for Mom. I didn’t notice I was going for seconds.

I’ve tried several versions of this recipe missing one of two ingredients such as egg or shrimps and the meal still tasted good and full to the stomach.

If I’m going to pot-luck parties, I’m cooking this. Enjoy experimenting!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 492810879601231/k2311a1028/10.28.09