Applebees Neighborhood Grill and Bar  » Restaurants  »
2.5
300- 2325 Ottawa Street, Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
  • I enjoy eating at the Applebees chain of restaurants in the US, and I hadn’t tried this restaurant in Canada until recently
  • The coleslaw, frankly, was the best part of the meal

• by Jessie Bahrey

I enjoy eating at the Applebees chain of restaurants in the US, and I hadn’t tried this restaurant in Canada until recently. Applebees in Port Coquitlam, near Vancouver, BC, is just off the main highway, Highway #1, and it got a lot of hype when it opened some years ago. I finally tried it out, and while the food is decent and the atmosphere is just as good or better as other Canadian casual-dining establishments, (like Moxies or Cactus Club), it has less of a selection of food and is significantly more expensive than the US locations.

We managed to get seated very quickly, and I saw that the menu had fewer choices for dinner entrées

than in the US. My son immediately was excited to see that they had a cookies and cream milkshake on the menu, and it was a highlight for him, but for me, I was not warming up to anything I saw at all. Our server arrived, and we ordered drinks, and although she was friendly enough, she was slightly slow and distracted, nothing horrible but not particularly impressive. There was a promotion on that included all you can eat riblets ($9.99) or shrimp ($12.99), which sounded to me like a good deal-who doesn’t like all you can eat deals? My husband ordered the riblets and I ordered the shrimp, and as these came with fries and ...

• coleslaw or salad, we figured that would suffice for a light dinner.

Our orders took a long time to come, and they were disappointing. First of all, the riblets were dry, almost burnt, and there were far less of them than the coleslaw and fries. They didn’t even taste very good, and were actually nearly tasteless. The shrimp had thick layers of overcooked batter around them, and the shrimp inside were small and dry. They were neither juicy nor tasty, and there were not that many of them-only 15. I couldn’t even eat the batter, because it was hard and thick. The coleslaw was good, but again, the fries covered most of the plate. We were so

hungry that we ordered more of each dish quickly, and this took far longer than the first round. We almost gave up. When our refills arrived finally, the new riblets were still over-cooked and hard, and I only received 8 more over-battered shrimp. I had asked for more coleslaw, but the sides weren’t part of the all you can eat deal. The coleslaw, frankly, was the best part of the meal. We heard other tables complaining about the slow service, so our table wasn’t the only one experiencing customer service issues.

Overall, my first trip to a Canadian location of Applebees was disappointing. The food was poor and the service was even worse. I doubt I will be back.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72810879391231/k2311a1028/10.28.09