Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill  » Travel  »
3501 Lexington Road, Harrodsburg, Kentucky, USA
  • We drove to the village, and I could see that there is an Inn where people, and a few cottages where people can stay overnight, to fully experience this community
  • The leaves on the trees were all changing colours, and the brilliant scenery was simply gorgeous, and I would highly recommend visiting during autumn
  • We had coleslaw, herb chicken, (with fresh rosemary), catfish, fresh vegetables, and the best tarts for dessert
  • It was hearty food, delicious and filling
  • If you are in Kentucky, don’t miss this interesting and informative attraction

• by Jessie Bahrey

I was visiting Kentucky, and one of the attractions we planned to see was Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill which is near Harrodsburg. I had been to an Amish village in Indiana some time ago, so I was looking forward to seeing how similar this restored Shaker community was. I had read up on this place a bit, and had read that although the Amish still live in their traditional communities, the Shakers actually died out in the 1860s, but this village was restored to be just like it was when it thrived between 1770-1850. I also read that this village is on 3,000 acres of farmland, so I was excited.

Shaker Village is located about 25 miles southwest of Lexington, where I was staying. We drove to the village, and I could see that there is an Inn where people, and a few cottages where people can stay overnight, to

fully experience this community. We entered at the main entrance, paid our fees, and took a look at the map and the information brochure so we could plan our visit. There are guided tours to join as well as riverboat rides on the Kentucky River, but we were there off-season, so the boat rides were not available this day. There is a farm where farm animals can be petted, a craft store, a dining room (called Trustees’ Office Dining Room), horse-drawn carriage rides, and many buildings were actors dressed in traditional Shaker costumes carried out day to day duties. We wandered around the various buildings to work up an appetite, and got to see singers singing a cappella hymns, and they are excellent singers. We also saw several groups of people carrying their own canoes or kayaks to the river, and many hikers and bikers exploring the trails. The brochure ...

• told us that visitors are welcome to bring their own bikes, watercraft and even horses to explore the vast property. All of the buildings resembled for me the old-fashioned schools I have seen in old movies. The leaves on the trees were all changing colours, and the brilliant scenery was simply gorgeous, and I would highly recommend visiting during autumn. The singers were definitely my favourite, and then we entered the dining room to experience an authentic Shaker meal.

After we were seated, I was quite surprised to find that the Shakers dined completely by candlelight, so the dining room was lit only by hundreds of candles. All the furniture is authentic Shaker furniture and wood floors. The servers were wearing Shaker clothing, and the food was divine. We had coleslaw, herb chicken, (with fresh rosemary), catfish, fresh vegetables, and the best tarts for dessert. It was hearty food, delicious and

filling. After dinner, we took at look at the craft store, which sells furniture, baking, corn brooms, straw hats, and souvenirs. I bought a print of the village in black and white to frame when I got home.

Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is extremely interesting, because the Shakers do not actually live in their communities anymore, so to see this community is historically very important. The property is gorgeous and full of countless activities, and the choir is something not to miss. It allows visitors to see how these people lived. If you are in Kentucky, don’t miss this interesting and informative attraction.

Hours of Operation:

April 1-October 31: Daily 10am-5pm November 1-March 31: Daily 10am-4:30pm

The singers perform only from April to the end of October.

Admission Fees:

April 1-October 31: Ages 13 and up: $15, under 13: $5 November 1-March 31: Ages 13 and up: $7, under 13: $3

Horse-drawn wagon rides: $5 (Friday, Saturday and Sunday only).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382710878380431/k2311a1027/10.27.09