Contac AD - Daytime Cold and Flu medication  » Medicine  »
2.5
  • Now, I knew this was extra strength, but my experience with extra strength medications in the past had always been that a standard adult dose is 1-2 pills
  • I think I was forcing my eyes open compulsively as far as they could go
  • I told my boyfriend who took my quite seriously when I said I thought it might have been an overdose, as I am not prone to attention-seeking behaviour

• by darkamber
      About a year ago, I caught what can only be referred to as “the death cold. ” We all know it. For two or three weeks, breathing and existing become the most painful acts imaginable.

I was guzzling cough syrup whenever I was allowed more, as per the directions, not that it was helping. I was taking daytime cold pills and then nighttime cold pills, making tea constantly, and just generally having a miserable time.

On my way out the door one day, I realized I hadn’t yet taken

my daytime pill. I went rummaging through the cupboard and discovered some Contac AD - Daytime Cold and Flu medication.

It wasn’t in its original box, and it was my parents’ cupboard, but I snatched the foil package and ran out the door. Now, I knew this was extra strength, but my experience with extra strength medications in the past had always been that a standard adult dose is 1-2 pills.

Advil, Tylenol, Aspirin, and Dayquil/Nyquil all have those standard doses. So, why break tradition? I popped two ...

• and thought nothing more of it.

Until about an hour later, when I began to feel shakey and weird. I felt paranoid.

I felt like I couldn’t blink. I think I was forcing my eyes open compulsively as far as they could go.

I told my boyfriend who took my quite seriously when I said I thought it might have been an overdose, as I am not prone to attention-seeking behaviour. He also noted that my pupils were dilated - very dilated.

We went online, and I typed

in the phrase “Contac AD” and what came up immediately? Overdose information. Now why should that be the first result in the search engine if I didn’t even type in the word “overdose”? Apparently, my scary symptoms were quite standard for a Contac overdose.

The moral of this tale? Take cold and allergy medications seriously. Some brands really do pack so much into their extra strength pills that you can’t just take two.

Some people even react pretty strongly to low doses of the medications that they pack into those caplets! User beware.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26280887770131/k2311a0828/8.28.06