Merrick Dog Food
  • About a year ago I was at a dog event probably a dog show, but it could have been a pet expo, I don't remember anymore, I found someone with a different food product for my pets
  • I like to stay with a food product that has no corn or soy of course, but then I try to watch how the other ingredients add up in their various forms
  • Once I started feeding the Merrick products I noticed all the dogs started to gain weight while being fed the same amount as on the previous dog food
  • I love their dog foods, even my extremely picky eater who will eat for three weeks then not for a week has been a consistent eater
  • So it may cost me a bit more per bag at the store but they eat less are healthier and less to clean up

• by freya594

About a year ago I was at a dog event probably a dog show, but it could have been a pet expo, I don’t remember anymore, I found someone with a different food product for my pets. I am very funny about what I feed my dogs. One of them has a bad reaction to Soy and another had issues with corn, so I have to read through every item on an ingredient list. More so than I have to with my kids!

I like to stay with a food product that has no corn or soy of course, but then I try to watch how the other ingredients add up in their various forms. Like Rice, Rice meal, and Rice Gluten, that means a lot of rice. I also look for a food that has a higher meat count. Merrick has meat listed first and it is listed there two to four times in the first five ingredients in

the various varieties. This means the meat is more prevalent then say a dog food that lists soy as their main ingredient and the meat is listed in the fourth or six place in the list. I had been looking for a different food that the dogs would like and would provide them with a more complete diet. I wanted something that was less processed and more along the lines of a natural diet with out going to a completely fresh diet. Fresh diets can be very hard to balance on a daily basis until you get use to it and traveling can be even harder. So I thought I would give Merrick a try.

Once I started feeding the Merrick products I noticed all the dogs started to gain weight while being fed the same amount as on the previous dog food. I mean gaining weight they jumped within 2 weeks and then I had to spend the next month cutting back food ...

• and changing portions to find just what everyone needed so they didn’t get to heavy or start looking like skin and bones.

Along with the weight going up and down, my dog’s coats got a bit dry and started falling out. I was not to sure, but since their weight was fluctuating I figured I would see what would happen once I got them more balanced. A few more weeks went by and their weights seem to hold with about half the food they were eating before, and their coats started to shine. Once they got use to the food their coats improved dramatically, it was fantastic!

I can even rotate the flavors without coat problems and no upset stomachs! For the last six months I have had my dogs on Merrick and their coats are still soft and shiny. Personalities are wonderful and I have not had any problems with gas like I have had with the prior foods I used.

I love their dog foods, even my extremely picky eater who will eat for three weeks then not for a week has been a consistent eater. I feed the dogs in the morning dry food and then dinner is mixed with a little bit of water so it makes a really nice gravy for the dogs. The dogs think they are getting something extra and can’t wait to eat their dinners!

Another really good side affect is with the higher quality food they are all eating less; there is less to clean up out in the yard; and they look better. So it may cost me a bit more per bag at the store but they eat less are healthier and less to clean up! What more can you ask for? Me…not much more. My dogs enjoy the Trout and Wilderness Blends the most, but I like the fact I can mix them and give them even more variety.

I love this dog food.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292310875741131/k2311a1023/10.23.09