Chevrolet Lumina  » Cars  »
  • I found my second Lumina with a little luck when my dad introduced me to an old man who wanted to sell it

• by Jeremy Patton

I am 31 years old and I have only owned two vehicles: A red 1996 Chevrolet Lumina and a white 1996 Chevrolet Lumina. If you’re willing to sacrifice style for dependability and good gas mileage, this car is for you.

I drove my red Chevrolet Lumina for about ten years. It would have lasted longer had

I taken better care of it. When it finally kicked the bucket, it had journeyed almost 200,000 miles.

I found my second Lumina with a little luck when my dad introduced me to an old man who wanted to sell it. I’m still driving the white Lumina and it has traveled about 120,000 miles.

I’ve ...

• only had a few problems with my hotrods. The red Lumina broke down one night due to a heat sensor malfunction. Another time, she stranded me again due to a bad alternator. I had to replace a spark plug in the white Lumina and there is also a small oil leak, but she’s still rolling
        strong. The rear view mirror on both vehicles fell off and landed in the floor board. I guess Chevrolet was using defective glue back in 1996.

I hope that Chevrolet will start making Luminas again. If you regularly maintain this car, it will last forever. I’ll buy another and be happy if they’ll install a CD player.

tony vattalaro says :

I drove a used 1996 lumina yesterday the steeringwheel woolbled at low speeds . back and forth . it has brand new breakes. tires a littel worn . could it have something to do with the fwd?

Mediaspecialist says :

I wish the comments were dated because I can’t tell how long ago you posted, but I hope I can still help. Steering wheel vibration is usually a sign of tires out of balance (cheap fix), a bad tire (slightly more expensive), or a bent wheel (more expensive, but maybe under $ 100 to fix). If it vibrates when you press the brakes, it is likely due to warped rotors (an easy fix). If the steering wheel has a lot of “play”, meaning it actually turns without turning the wheels, or you have to keep turning the steering wheel to keep the car traveling straight, this is a big problem that can get expensive: things like a blown rack, bad tie rods, or badly misaligned wheels due to an accident.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 92210874110731/k2311a1022/10.22.09