Action Comics 874  » Other  »
  • I'm still disappointed that they didn't have a Brave and the Bold issue that featured Nightwing and Nightwing, it's such a simple concept
  • I enjoyed this comic, it felt good just to be reading a comic again, but this was a good starting point
  • It's not the best starting point as the story has been going for 12 issues between all the Super titles, not to mention that this follows up on the Brainiac arc as well so if you are a newbie, you might want to pick up a trade or two just to get caught up on what's been going on

• by David Finniss

It’s been a long time since I had a chance to read comics. I was worried that I would be completely lost, having only a vague idea of what was going on, but it was easy enough to catch up.

Zod insists that he’s reformed now that the Kryptonians have a society. The others think him a hero since he fought the council and attempted to save their people. Superman is, of course, skeptical. Ursa and Non show up to back up their general and cast suspicion on

Superman in regards to the whereabouts of Brainiac’s ship.

The art was pretty solid, all of the faces were expressive and the dialogue was well written.

We get cameos from Jimmy as well as the new Nightwing and Flamebird. I’m still disappointed that they didn’t have a Brave and the Bold issue that featured Nightwing and Nightwing, it’s such a simple concept.

We get a little into Superman’s head. He idealized his people and he’s a bit disappointed to find out that they’re only human in their own ways. He still doesn’t buy Zod’s story and insists that they need his help.

The comic ends with Mon-El approaching Superman. He informs Superman that the Phantom Zone is somehow disappearing. He begs Superman to let him out. Mon will die, but he argues that he’s dead either way and he doesn’t want to die a phantom. Superman pulls him out and the comic ends with Mon lying in Superman’s arms.

There is a backup story featuring the Guardian. I never had much interest in this character so I ...

• Action Comics 874
      basically just skimmed it.

I enjoyed this comic, it felt good just to be reading a comic again, but this was a good starting point. It drove the overall story forward and I am curious to see if the elimination of the Phantom Zone plays a later part. Given Zod’s dislike for it, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was his doing, but I will just have to read more to find out.

The Superman titles have really been on recently. I was worried when Geoff Johns left

as he is a very good writer, but the new guys have done a good job filling the role of writer.

It’s not the best starting point as the story has been going for 12 issues between all the Super titles, not to mention that this follows up on the Brainiac arc as well so if you are a newbie, you might want to pick up a trade or two just to get caught up on what’s been going on. Otherwise, I highly recommend this issue; it was a good read.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 122110873311031/k2311a1021/10.21.09