Peter Kay  » People  »
1.5
  • I was impressed with his comedy and after the release of his first standup DVD, I was even more impressed
  • I watched the show when it went out and I have to say that I was very disappointed

• by spiderpig

Peter Kay is one of the brightest comedy stars to come out of the north of England in the last 20 years and following his early success I became a massive fan. He first hit the screens in his TV sketch show performing as several disfunctional characters going about their daily lives. The show was fairly popular, although it was slightly overshadowed by the release of The Office by Ricky Gervais and Stephen.

impressed. Soon followed his TV sitcom Phoenix Nights where he plays both a club bouncer called Max, and the club owner Brian Potter. Both characters were very different, yet funny. Other characters and situations within the show were very entertaining and the show was a massive success.

Not only did he perform in the series though, be also wrote it. The series is brilliant and still makes me laugh to this day. However, with the popularity of this series, this is where my opinion on Peter Kay started the change. He released his second standup DVD, which again was impressive, yet it had glaring similarities to the first one. At times it is difficult to remember which show was which.

After the second series of Phoenix Nights finished, Peter Key wrote and performed a spin-off series involving his character Max and fellow bouncer Paddy, for the series Max & Paddy’s Road to Nowhere. The series was entertaining and at times very funny, but after just one series the show did not return to TV screens.

Since both Phoenix Nights and Max & Paddy ran for ...

• Peter Kay
      a combined three series, I feel slightly ripped off as a fan, that Peter Kay continues to release ‘best of’ and ‘compilation’ DVDs every year, with each one being ever so slightly different. The last TV show that he wrote and starred in was a parody of all the reality TV shows. However, the show was filmed just like a real show, with a host and judges, and it was slightly confusing to viewers as to what was going on.

I watched the show when it went out and I have to

say that I was very disappointed. Peter Kay had been off the comedy scene for over four years and I was hoping his return to TV screens would be memerable for good reasons. However, this was not the case.

I have to say that I am disappointed to have jumped on the Peter Kay bandwaggon after his initial success. At the time I was sure that he would continue to perform and write fantastic material, however, it seems that he is happy to repeat and pedal the same old jokes and material over and over again.

Peter Kay

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 521910871821031/k2311a1019/10.19.09