Plato’s Closet  » Shopping  »
577 South Mason Road at Kingsland Katy, TX 77450
  • I like that they have a system to buy clothes because it would take forever to get anything done if they didn’t
  • Upon first impression I wasn’t impressed with the logo
  • Great name but from the name I was expected a cooler, hipper logo instead of a boring old hanger
  • I thought the sales clerk could’ve been more friendly as well, I found a couple of them to be quite rude
  • It’s probably not the best place to sell back your clothes though if you expect a decent sale amount

• by Liberty

For those that have never heard of Plato’s Closet, it’s a place that buys and sells second hand clothing. It’s not really a “vintage” store more like a very nice thrift store. They don’t do consignment, they only buy out right. I’ve heard about Plato’s Closet probably since I had originally lived in Austin but it wasn’t until I was living in Houston did I stop by and visited a location. After spending hours in that store trying to get rid of some clothes I no longer wore I’ve come up with some pros and cons to this place.

Every retail and customer service places has pros and cons, there’s very rarely a place that’s one or the other, so lets start out with the pros to Plato’s Closet, the Katy, Texas location. I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer size of the place and the volume of clothing they had. I was even more surprised by how organize the store was. It was probably the most well organized second hand store I’ve

ever been in to. What I really liked was the fact that they do out right buy used clothes and that they’re very picky about what they buy. I like that they have a system to buy clothes because it would take forever to get anything done if they didn’t. I like that they’re picky because you know that they clothes that they’re selling is clean and doesn’t have any stain, smell or holes you didn’t catch upon first inspection. They have a huge selection of clothing and sizes for girls, and everything from every day wear to dresses and accessory. They even have a few unworn and new items for sale as well. There is also a guy’s section, and a dressing room and bathroom. Bathrooms are rarely found in a second hand shop, so that’s always a plus. I was also pleasant surprised that the place didn’t reek of mildew, it actually smelled fairly clean, better than most second hand stores.

Now for the cons for Plato’s Closet. Upon first ...

• impression I wasn’t impressed with the logo. Great name but from the name I was expected a cooler, hipper logo instead of a boring old hanger. I liked that there were several people working in the shop but I didn’t like that they were extremely slow and it seemed like they were just standing around chit chatting a lot of the time instead of working. I thought the sales clerk could’ve been more friendly as well, I found a couple of them to be quite rude. Another thing is that if you want to sell your clothes to them you’d have to wait until they inspect it and come up with a price and there could be a lot of other people waiting before you. I went with my boyfriend and we ended up waiting over an hour for him to sell them a couple pairs of jeans. There’s a rule that you have to be inside the store because if they call you and you’re not there I don’t know what
        will happen. The pay cash but you have to get back in line on the cashier’s side to get money, which means you have to wait even more. It’s a whole lot of waiting and wasted time and you don’t even get much. My boyfriend had some really nice jeans from Express that were hardly worn and they only gave him about $15 for the two pair. One pair costs close to $100. They have a guy’s section but it’s very small and limited, the entire place looks more like it’s geared towards girls. Their target demographics is high school kids so they don’t take anything that they consider “too old”.

Overall Plato’s Closet is a great place to shop if you’re a teenager or have teenagers, you’ll definitely be saving a lot of money buying school clothes here, especially if jeans and t-shirts are all you wear because they have tons of those items. It’s probably not the best place to sell back your clothes though if you expect a decent sale amount.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 241610870920131/k2311a1016/10.16.09