Bohol Vacation  » Travel  »
Visayas, Philippines
  • I most enjoyed this day tour because it brought to life what I have only read and learned in my history classes in school
  • It was a buffet lunch and my friends and I definitely had our fills

• by Collette

My friends and I visited Bohol as it is famed as one of the most beautiful places to go to in the Visayan region of the Philippines. Bohol is divided into two big cities, namely Tagbilaran and Panglao. We made sure we got to visit all the major tourist spots before we return to Manila.

We got our packaged tour from Alona Kew Resort. It laid out the perfect itinerary that brought us to all the must-see sites in Bohol. Touring Tagbilaran is possible in one day. I most enjoyed this day tour because it brought to life what I have only read and learned in my history classes in school.

We first visited the Blood Compact Monument. It is reminiscent of the blood compact between a tribal Filipino and a Spanish conqueror as a sign of their friendship. Surrounding the monument is a serene and tranquil lake that sets a very beautiful backdrop for photo ops.

Next visit is the Baclayon Church, one of the oldest in the Philippines. As a Filipino, I was most thrilled to

finally see this church up close as it is very historical and played a major role in the Spanish Era. The stoned walls are old and dating back to the 1700s. We were given a few minutes of quiet time to say a little prayer inside, and then we were led to an adjacent museum. The museum housed many artifacts that are many centuries old.

Our next stop was the Chocolate Hills, one of the natural wonders of the Philippines that I’m so proud of. Climbing up the 200+ steps of stairs was a feat but it was all worth it after seeing a heavenly view at the top. Big lumps of land formation side by side earned for it the name Chocolate Hills. We were lucky that we went there at summer time and the hills were evidently brown and chocolaty. Our tour guide said that when the rains come, the green grass subdues the brown hills.

It was lunch time by time we descended, and the Loboc River Cruise was the next appropriate visit. It ...

• was where we will have lunch while cruising a river. The waters were kinda dirty but didn’t smell. The views while cruising showcased the laidback life of the natives of Bohol. It was a buffet lunch and my friends and I definitely had our fills. While eating, we were serenaded with songs that contributed to the lovely mood while cruising. In fact, it could have been romantic if we were with our significant others.

Afterwards, our last stop was a trip to the tarsier sanctuary. This animal is uniquely found in the Philippines and it was the first time I saw it up close. It looked like a very small monkey but we were told that it is not a monkey. We were allowed to take pictures of them for as long we turned off the flashes of our cameras. The tarsiers were rather quiet and unmindful of us, just staring at us blankly with their prominently big eyes. We made sure we took lots of souvenir photos of it before we left.

We were brought

to a souvenir shop before finally heading to Panglao. We bought home-baked goodies and souvenir shirts.

It was in Panglao that we settled for three nights. Panglao is a renowned diving site throughout the world. But for us who are not keen on diving, it is also a beautiful beach site. We stayed in Alona Kew Beach Resort where we also got our packaged tour.

Panglao beach is quiet and virginal. The sands are powdery and fine that it could be likened to the sands in Boracay also. The nice thing about Panglao is that is not yet commercialized and is apt for a very relaxing vacation. It was just nature and us. Very peaceful.

Bohol can be visited in just two or three days. It is one of the must-see provinces in the Philippines. I had fun here with my friends the first time around such that I visited it again with my significant other at another time. If you are thinking of where to go to in the Philippines, make sure you include Bohol in your list.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381610870291231/k2311a1016/10.16.09