Canon Powershot S5 IS camera
  • DSLR cameras are definitely very popular nowadays
  • The image stability feature is also convenient and helpful in taking clearer photos amidst shaky conditions in the environment
  • To remedy this, I bought rechargeable batteries and a quality battery charger so that I do not have to buy batteries every so often
  • I highly recommend Canon Powershot S5 IS to those who are just starting out in photography
  • Should you decide to stick to it like I do, it will be one of the best point and shoot cameras you can get your hands on

• by Collette

I’ve been using this camera for 2 years now and it is still serving me well. Although many newer models of Canon have been released (like Canon G10), I’m still very satisfied with the performance of Canon Powershot S5 IS that there are no signs yet for me of replacing it. It is a point and shoot camera although marketed as “semi-DSLR” because you could attach three basic lenses to it, plus an external flash.

DSLR cameras are definitely very popular nowadays. Prices have generally dropped that made DSLR cameras very affordable and enticing a lot of people to take up photography. However, I chose to stick to my S5 IS point and shoot camera for many reasons. First, I’m an amateur in photography and have no plans of going

pro anytime soon. Although DSLR cameras are much cheaper nowadays, I figured that I will have to shell out more money in the long run to buy lens accessories if I want to maximize the use of the DSLR. With my S5 IS, I can use it as is already. I realized that if I only learn the full capabilities of it, S5 IS really has superb features that are more than enough to satisfy an amateur like me. I can take excellent photographs that could be likened to the works of a professional also.

Because indeed, Canon Powershot S5 IS is ranked as a high-end first class point and shoot camera. Its features serve well the serious amateurs. Its 12x optical zoom alone is enough to be the eye ...

• of envy of many photographers. The resolution of 8.3 megapixel is more than enough to take clear and crisp photos. The image stability feature is also convenient and helpful in taking clearer photos amidst shaky conditions in the environment. My personal favorite and most used function is the macro setting. I can take macro shots even at 0mm distance from the object.

I also love the big LCD display screen as compared to other cameras. It may be quite bulky but its features still beat any portable cameras. Anyway, it has straps such that I can hang the camera on my neck when not in use. It could sometimes be mistaken as a DSLR camera that way. It’s a good thing.

I only frown at the fact that this great camera

is powered with 4 AA batteries instead of being recharged via USB. To remedy this, I bought rechargeable batteries and a quality battery charger so that I do not have to buy batteries every so often. Otherwise, it will be a hassle especially when I’m traveling.

I highly recommend Canon Powershot S5 IS to those who are just starting out in photography. Its DSLR-like features are enough to get you started and get a good feel on photography. It is a very excellent camera for the meantime while you are deciding if you really want to be serious and buy a DSLR unit. Should you decide to stick to it like I do, it will be one of the best point and shoot cameras you can get your hands on.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 431610870261231/k2311a1016/10.16.09