Using Saddle Soap to clean leather  » Housewares  »
  • But since it was a small fortune worth of leather, I decided to make an effort to clean one of them before giving up and tossing them all out
  • Any problem areas I rubbed with a circular motion, and I used a toothbrush to gently scrub the areas that had stitching
  • I think I will forever be a huge Saddle Soap fan

• by reviewit

I have several very nice, expensive leather handbags that I do not use a lot. I had been storing them in one of those plastic storage containers in my garage; which was apparently a big mistake.

Florida is famous for the green moldy substance that grows on the outside of houses and has to be pressure washed off.

It did not occur to me that this

same substance would grow inside a garage with no air conditioning, on leather handbags that were stored in sealed containers.

When I saw them, I wanted to cry because I was positive that they were ruined.

But since it was a small fortune worth of leather, I decided to make an effort to clean one of them before giving up and tossing them all out.

Since ...

• most of them were Italian leathers; I had to be very picky about what I used to clean them with.

I decided to give Saddle soap a try.

I grabbed a bunch of soft cloths, and began to wipe the saddle soap over the bag.

To my amazement, most of the mold came right off.

Any problem areas I rubbed with a circular motion, and I

used a toothbrush to gently scrub the areas that had stitching.

All but one of the bags, which was an untreated aniline leather, came totally clean.

Once they were mink oiled, you could not tell that anything had ever happened to them.

I think I will forever be a huge Saddle Soap fan.

I will also be a lot more careful what I am storing in my garage.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531310867711231/k2311a1013/10.13.09