4 Aces Pipe Tobacco  » Other  »
  • Some of the other reasons that I like it are due to the quality making it easy to roll, and not producing a lot of waste
  • Avoid tobaccos that are dry, or appear to be very fine bits
  • This is definitely a brand that I would recommend, and it comes in many forms such as lights, menthol, etc.

• by reviewit

During my process of learning to roll my own cigarettes using filtered tubes, I have tried numerous types of tobaccos. My normal brand of preferred cigarette is a Marlboro red. I have discovered that there is a little bit more to selecting the tobacco to use for hand rolling than just flavor, however.

When you buy tobacco to roll cigarettes with, many brands are marketed as “pipe tobacco” because this helps keep the pricing down due to having less taxes on pipe products than there are
      on cigarette tobacco. This is still the same tobacco used, and makes good quality cigarettes, so don’t let the “pipe tobacco” name fool you on these brands.

My favorite is 4 Aces Pipe Tobacco. It has a very similar taste to Marlboro.

Some of the other reasons that I like it are due to the quality making it easy to roll, and not producing a lot of waste. Some of the other brands will have a lot of stem/stick type material in it, and this brand ...

• seems to have very few.

It is moderately long, fluffy, and moist. This makes it easy to pack and roll.

Avoid tobaccos that are dry, or appear to be very fine bits. They do not roll well, and burn very quickly.

It works out a lot cheaper to buy a large bag, but be careful not to let it all dry out. I keep mine fresh by taking it out of the original bag, and putting it into Ziploc freezer bags and storing the extra in my freezer.

You can also get re-usable moisturizer packs that you can keep in your current bag very inexpensively, and they really do work for small quantities. I am buying this tobacco for $29.

99 for a 16 oz bag, which makes about two and a half cartons. This works out to about $1.

50 per pack of cigarettes; once you add in the cost of the tubes and taxes. This is definitely a brand that I would recommend, and it comes in many forms such as lights, menthol, etc.

COLINDA DAVIS says :

I JUST BOUGHT A 16oz BAG OF 4 ACES PIPE TABACCO FOR 22 DOLLARS WHICH IS PRETTY HIGH, WHEN I OPENED BAG IT WAS ALL DRY WONT STAY IN TUBE IF I AM LUCKY ENOUGH TO EVEN GET IT TO LOAD THE TUBE BECAUSE IT IS SO DRY. THE STORE I GOT IT FROM WONT EXCHANGE BAG WITH A FRESHER ONE BECAUSE THEY ARE SMALL MOM AND POP PLACE AND CANT AFFORD TO TAKE THE LOSS. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO GET A REFUND FOR OLD TABACCO. I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL TO THIS BRAND FOR AWHILE NOW BUT IF I CANT GET REFUNDED FOR THIS BAG I WILL TRY PRODUCT WITH ANOTHER COMPANY WHO WILL BACK THE PRODUCT. IF YOU CAN TELL ME WHO TO CONTACT WITH TOP TABACCO L P I WOULD BE VERY THANKFUL. COLINDA

Reviewit replies :

I apologize for the delay in any responses, life got very hectic and I have not posted here for quite some time and did not see the questions and comments. It sounds to me like your problem is not with the product itself, but rather the store where you bought it from. The reason I say this is that I have never had an issue with the product being dry, and if you have been a loyal user of it also I am assuming you have not had this problem before either or you would not have lept buying it. The thing that really stands out to me is your statement that they won’t return it because they are a mom and pop store.

For just this reason, I would avoid buying any products of this type from these smaller stores. They don’t sell enough of the products to rotate them through inventory fast enough to ensure that they will be fresh, aand it’s hard telling how long it sat there before you bought it. I always buy mine at an actual tobacco shop that is a fairly good sized company and handles these products a lot.

As far as who to contact for a refund, I would have no idea. I don’t work with or for this company and have never had any reason to attempt to contact them. Maybe check the back of the package and see if there is a phone number or address, or try looking them up on Google.

Robert says :

4 Aces is my favorite
    Easy to rolll, and tastes like Marlboro.

Katerina Katapodi says :

Hi I am also a heavy smoker, preferring Malboro red two decades ago, until recently. Due financial crisis, quality of cigarettes today has diminished, I am smoking with normal packet of cigarettes since 1979, when I started University. (I am now 55 years old), still smoking without any problem at all, as i don’t take smoke up to the lungs. I have never tried to smoke`’smoke’ and not cigaretted. There are many brands, but Marlboro is best, and addictive..
    The best of all would be to give up smoking, and this is for everybody. This is however almost impossible, mainly if you are addicted to smokes like Marlboro.
    In my opinion,`’smoke'’ is better than cigaretted, as you normally smokes less of wrapped cigarettes. Marlboro Red is still good, in some countries, so:If you can, just buy smoke, don’t use cigarettes if you can. You have the option to try many brands, and decide for the best. NB As doctors say, one shouldn’t change brands very often, it’s bad for larynx and lungs.
    Up to You,wishing you to choose the best brand that fits to you, being more`’healthy'’ (how healthy, to what extent cigarettes can be ..), don’t buy a brand only because it is cheap, AND ALSO, IF YOU CAN, don’t take all smoke up to lungs, then you will never have any problem. I personally taste the smoke and get aroma too, although I don’t smoke up to the lungs, but up to`’root of tongue'’ only.
    Try to smoke as fewer cogarettes or smoke made, as possible, ..
    BEST, Katerina

JR says :

I know that C. Davis posted way back in May of last year, but unless these people have an unusual relationship with the distributors, it`s really a crock when any store owners tell customers that tobacco cannot be returned. They would get credit for the returned product.

GB Sr. says :

I started making my own way back when the price of tobacco started going up and I have found Rouseco Pipe tobacco is the better choice at 14.99 for 16oz is so close to Marlboro you can not tell the difference. 16oz bag 2 boxes tubes at 3.99 each plus sales tax about 1.15 per pack. even cigarette tobacco at 29.99 for 16oz bag (2.01 per pack)is nothing to complain about considering 9.00 for marlboro per pack. Now watch all tobacco go sky high. I have and will smoke any of the regular pipe tobacco and a few of the flavored types pipe tobacco, some taste really good. ENJOY while we can

Reviewit replies :

GB I have never heard of the brand that you recommended, but will keep my eye out for it. Thanks for the tip. I also agree that the electric rollers are a waste of money. They don’t do a good job, and mine didnt even work very long.

As far as someone mentioning a distributor credit, that is and is not always true. Considering we are talking about a mom and pop store, they may NOT have a good solid enough relationship with the distributor to get returns if they arent selling much of the product, and in fact if it sold badly enough may not even still be ordering from that distributor any longer, and are trying to sell out the old remainder. Once again, a reason to only buy stuff like this from larger and more reputable stores that sell good quantities of it. I agree, if you had gone to a tobacco store with this problem, they’d have refunded it.

Sweeney says :

In Pa. I am paying 11.49 6% sales tax for the “NEW LOWER PRICE” 4Aces pipe tobacco. I use Zig-Zag tubes at 3 something a box. I get 2 Cartons per pound plus a lil extra. It is the closest I have found to Marlboro but I will admit, a bit lighter. Less than a buck Makes me feel like I’m 12 again and just starting this wonderful habit… Hey I like smoking… Anyway, I take much pride in making my own. I actually enjoy them as I would a Cigar, and I am always happy to give out a free sample. Now if I could just get an automated machine? Cha-Ching….

D. Rozell says :

I have recently started Smoking the 4 Aces Turkish Blend, Wow, why pay 5 dollars a bag for bugler or top here in massachussetts when I can order 12 pouches online for 9.99 , Its better than bugler and once i smoked it I knew right away it Really wasnt “pipe tobacco”. I personally dont like virginia or burley blends so i would never buy their big red or gold bags , nothing like the Turkish Blended. That is until I Quit :)

Storm says :

I have smoked ryo cigarettes for years, have tried many brands, 4 aces is the worst tobacco I have come across. I have consistently (3 times now) had the same problems, jams up my machine (the $ 85 chrome one) rips the tubes if you manage to get any in it to begin with. I am completely disappointed to say the least not to mention it’s the most expensive bag on the shelf everywhere, no web site, no customer service, no phone numbers, no wonder. I will never buy another bag of this crap again

GB Sr. says :

Oh one more thing, I use a tube box to put enough tobacco in for a few packs so it can dry a little, it helps the tobacco to go into the tubes if it is a little dry, not too dry and it tastes better. my machine gets stuck sometimes if tobacco is not dryed a bit. I make 2 packs in about 5 minutes. dont waste your money on the electric cigarette makers (100.00) as it grinds the tobacco (dry or moist) so small the fire falls off, I have a burn holes in my truck carpet, a shirt and pants, so i returned that crap. I use a Top-o-Matic now that cost 50.00, I bought one way back when at 14.00, It broke ( . Like I said B4 I`ll smoke any pipe tobacco that is CHEAP. CHEAP. CHEAP.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 121310867681231/k2311a1013/10.13.09