Berkelouw Cafe  » Restaurants  »
0.5
70 Norton Street, Leichhardt, Sydney Australia
  • The service on the other hand was disgraceful, and with so many other cafes on this street I will definitely be giving Berkelouw's a miss from now on
  • This had a very poorly attempted thin layer on top and tasted bitter which I know from working as a barista is from scalding the beans

• by karmageddon

For all appearances this looks to be a nice cafe adjoined to the bookstore of the same name and a focus on outdoor seating.

Since it is very conveniently located to the bus stop (that is only about ten meters walk) I recently decided to try out their coffee. I expected that they may be more expensive than more casual cafes, but the prices were around the average $4 that I expect to pay.

The service on the other hand was disgraceful,

and with so many other cafes on this street I will definitely be giving Berkelouw’s a miss from now on. It was quite windy with a bit of light rain so I waited for my coffee under the awning for about twenty minutes, which as far as I am concerned is far too long to be kept waiting for coffee. There is not very much room between tables and the seating and counter area and this is not a place that I ...

• would like to be trying to have a meal or meet up with friends and be all crowded in with the other customers.

While I was still waiting a group of three women came in and wanted to order. The young girl who was serving rudely turned to me and said “Wait outside” I guess since they already had my money I was no longer relevant eventhough I still didn’t have my coffee. To expect a customer to wait outside in the

rain is the rudest service that I have ever had, even if she had been a little bit polite about it.

The coffee when I got it was not worth the wait. If I order a cappuccino I expect it to have foam. This had a very poorly attempted thin layer on top and tasted bitter which I know from working as a barista is from scalding the beans. Anyone who knew (or cared) what they were doing would not serve this coffee.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 71210865951131/k2311a1012/10.12.09