Socialist Alliance  » Local news  »
0.5
23 Abercrombie St, Chippendale, Sydney, Australia
  • I felt that it was unrealistic to expect that actions such as circulating a petition about an issue overseas and spending resources, both financial and environmental on these campaigns was ultimately serving no purpose except for giving the higher ups the opportunity to feel good about themselves
  • I personally do not agree that abortion is the option it is promoted to be, I would not have an abortion, but neither I am not opposed to other women having that choice
  • All considered I think that the Socialist Alliance is a hive of hypocrisy

• by karmageddon

I became a member of the Socialist Alliance because I believed that this was a political organization which valued human rights and equality while being different to the major ‘mainstream’ parties.

I gave up my involvement due to what I saw as elitism, unrealistic expectations and the failure to focus on the issues effecting Australian people. It is inconceivable to me how this group can claim to want to change Australian society through the democratic system by focusing overwhelmingly on issues in foreign countries. Most literature and events were directed at foreign issues - despite the fact that inequalities such as poverty, discrimination and human rights abuses exist in Australia.

overseas and spending resources, both financial and environmental on these campaigns was ultimately serving no purpose except for giving the higher ups the opportunity to feel good about themselves. In doing so they are creating a political smokescreen that benefits precisely the parties that they claim to be in opposition to by failing to raise dissent for local issues which Australian people are in a much better position to effect change.

The remainder of effort was taken up primarily by workers rights, which I do support, but this emphasis effectively excludes people on welfare who are acknowledged by the Socialist Alliance as being a key area of concern, despite the fact that nothing is done to raise public awareness or protest these issues. As a person with a disability I did not feel that there was any representation for me from the Socialist Alliance.

It also quite disgusted me that the Alliance has effectively segregated gay and lesbian issues by directing all interests into a seperate organization which they call CAAH (Community Action Against Homophobia) No other issue which the Alliance claims to represent had such an arrangement. It seemed to me that they did not particularly care for gay and lesbian rights but wanted to satisfy existing members who found these a priority. The effect was that no-one but gay and lesbian members of the Socialist Alliance got involved in organizing around these issues and CAAH was poorly supported and had much less resources available. To look at the website you would not ...

• Socialist Alliance
      even know that there was any interest in gay and lesbian rights, and it was required to pay two annual membership fees which effectively as far as I am concerned makes these two seperate organizations, leaving the Socialist Alliance without any claim to represent gay and lesbian issues.

Another thing that I did not like was the ideology that to be a female was to be a feminist and to be a feminist was to endorse abortion. I personally do not agree that abortion is the option it is promoted to be, I would not have an abortion, but neither I am not opposed to other women having that choice. My honesty in saying this and not wanting to participate in pro abortion activities received quite a lot

of hostility and judgment from these self professed liberals.

All considered I think that the Socialist Alliance is a hive of hypocrisy. Everyone should have the right to a decent standard of living provided that they have a job and pay union dues. Everyone should have basic human rights except those they are too embarrassed or apathetic to share their platform with. Everyone should be able to participate in government except those who do not have a lot of money to contribute and who do not spend time at university. Realistically and organization which I have never seen to run more than two candidates in a state election can not achieve any change and there is obviously no public faith in the Socialist Alliance because typically the candidates are defeated.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 361010864321231/k2311a1010/10.10.09