Match Point (2005)  » Movies  »
  • I am always more excited about a new Woody Allen film if he is in it because I love to see him delivering his own lines but someone recommended this to me and I must admit it is really very good
  • Allen has made a very interesting film here and it is enjoyable to see how the story plays out
  • Many people consider this to be one of the best Woody Allen movies in recent years and I enjoy watching it on DVD every now and then

• by jeanne71

Match Point is a 2005 movie from writer and director Woody Allen. I am always more excited about a new Woody Allen film if he is in it because I love to see him delivering his own lines but someone recommended this to me and I must admit it is really very good. Jonathan Rhys Meyers plays Chris Wilton, an avid Dostoyevsky fan with the philosophy that the good do not get rewarded in life, it is the lucky ones who get rewarded. This movie is set in London so as a Londoner myself I was fascinated to see this Woody Allen film that was set in an area that was familiar to me instead of his usual New York environment.

Chris arrives in London from his native

Ireland, although his posh accent does not indicate this at all. He is a serious social climber and immediately immerses himself into the lifestyle that he really wants, starting with an application to join the prestigious Queens Tennis Club in Kensington. His background as a professional tennis player guarantees him entry and he soon meets up with the frightfully posh Tom, played by Matthew Goode, builds a rapport with him straight away based on their mutual love of opera and gets invited out with Tom for the evening. Tom is very upper class and from a wealthy family and lo and behold his sister Chloe fancies Chris. Chris has no morals, and no qualms at all about getting involved with Chloe even though she hardly rocks ...

• is boat but is ‘sweet’ all the same. The fact that the real woman he is hot for is Tom’s girlfriend, Nola, played by Scarlett Johanssen does not bother his conscience because he clearly does not have one. They embark on a passionate affair until she starts to threaten the wealthy lifestyle he has worked so hard to nurture.

The theme of luck is brought up throughout the film, and we see how luck plays its part in doing the one thing Chris is bothered about, covering up his dark and amoral intentions. Woody Allen manages this in a clever way which leaves us wondering throughout whether Chris will get away with it or not. Allen has made a very interesting film here and it is enjoyable

to see how the story plays out.

The acting is all great and Match Point even features many British comic actors that will amuse the British audience to whom they are well known, including Dennis Pennis, aka Paul Kaye, in a cameo as a cockney estate agent. Scarlett Johanssen is very sexy in this role and seems to know it. Many people consider this to be one of the best Woody Allen movies in recent years and I enjoy watching it on DVD every now and then. Most films today leave me a bit cold but I do admire Woody Allen for acknowledging that real life can provide such an interesting story – yes, the film was fiction, but there are real people like Chris out there believe me.

Match Point (2005)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11910863981131/k2311a109/10.9.09