oDesk.com  » Web sites  »
  • I know that what motivates oDesk to institute the online time card system is more of a business decision than to protect service providers like myself
  • Because there are no fees for joining, I would recommend oDesk to other service providers or freelancers on line

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I joined oDesk on October 4, 2009, after I saw the review under the Job category here at ReviewStream. At first, I was just curious as to what it was, and after signing up, I realized it works pretty much like Elance.com, Guru.com, or even IFreelance.com.

In short, oDesk is in the category of sites where you can be an independent contractor who can bid for projects posted by employers. Being a freelance writer, I would of course sign up to receive alerts on available projects in the category of writing and translation.

Creating an account was easy as pie, just like with other sites in oDesk’s category. But here’s the big difference: There’s no fees for membership, which is not the case with Elance and others.

What oDesk does

is charge ten percent of every hour you get paid for a project. Of course, there are no fees to worry about for as long as you haven’t snagged a project. But once you do, you will give oDesk ten percent of every hour you work.

I have to say oDesk is very smart. The site has its own time-keeping software called oDesk, which keeps track of a service provider’s time. I even had to take the oDesk readiness test, which I managed to perfect after so many tries (you can retake the test as many times as you want).

Having passed the oDesk test, providers are no longer limited to being able to bid for only two projects per week. It is my understanding that I ...

• can now bid for as much as 20 projects any given week.

This outfit encourages providers to go for projects that pay per hour because then you have to use oDesk to track your hours. If a provider like myself accepts a project with a fixed rate, I am at risk because there is no assurance that I will be paid by the employer.

I am glad that oDesk does this because I’m so tired of losing money from employers who run away without footing the bill. I’d had two customers at IFreelance take my articles and then run away, never to be found again.

I know that what motivates oDesk to institute the online time card system is more of a business decision than to protect service providers like myself.

But obviously, it works to my advantage, too.

I’m still waiting to get my first project, though. I have set up my profile and writing portfolio, but as with other outfits similar to oDesk, it does take some time before a new provider gets a customer. Of course, it gets just a little bit easier after that.

Because there are no fees for joining, I would recommend oDesk to other service providers or freelancers on line. But giving ten percent of your earnings for every hour worked, I may just find too high a price to pay in the long run. I’ll have to wait and see until I get my first project.

oDesk.com

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 20910863921131/k2311a109/10.9.09