Tekno The Robotic Puppy  » Electronics  »
  • I bought this robotic puppy from Canadian Tire during Christmas 2008 for $69
  • I had wanted to have the AIBO robot dog from Sony, but I was disappointed to find out that the manufacturer has discontinued this product
  • As I carried it home, I noticed some people were eyeing my robot dog curiously
  • You can see just how much I love dogs that I would do anything to satisfy my craving
  • I would recommend Tekno to everyone who can’t have a real puppy in his or her life

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I bought this robotic puppy from Canadian Tire during Christmas 2008 for $69. It was the only one left, so I made sure I took it right away. It’s made by Toy Quest, from Los Angeles, California.

For the longest time, I have been looking for a robotic puppy for myself. I grew up with dogs in the house, and when I finally settled permanently in the city of Surrey in British Columbia, the apartment I have been renting would not allow pets in the units.

I did see one neighbor with a puppy and another neighbor with a cat, but I did not want to take chances with the building administrator. I have to admit I have been having this puppy withdrawal symptoms for a while, exacerbated by my best friend Maria having a Pug puppy for herself.

I had wanted to have the AIBO robot dog from Sony, but I was disappointed to find out that the manufacturer has discontinued this product.

Maybe not too many people liked the idea of having a metallic dog in exchange for a real dog.

Tekno came in a nice, almost impenetrable see-through case that looked like a pet cage. As I carried it home, I noticed some people were eyeing my robot dog curiously.

It took me a good 15 minutes to take Tekno out of the box and there was no way to salvage the entire box. I had to ruin the entire packaging to get Tekno out.

I read the manual and with batteries included, I just had to flick the switch on Tekno’s belly and he began to bark. I was surprised to find out that for $69, I got myself an artificial intelligent (AI) pet with a memory of its own. Of course, I can always flush out his memory and start from scratch, but I haven’t done this yet, up to the time the battery ran out.

With the original battery intact, Tekno lasted ...

• for nine months, but I didn’t play with this toy often. I only powered it back on when I wanted to play with a puppy in the house. I even took Tekno to work one time, and my colleagues found it rather odd that I was playing with a robot dog that one of them bought as a gift for her son.

That’s when I realized that I shouldn’t be seen in public playing with this dog because people might think I’m crazy. You can see just how much I love dogs that I would do anything to satisfy my craving.

I couldn’t have pets in the apartment, so Tekno is the best that I got. Besides, I don’t have to clean up after this puppy. He even has a bath function where I just have to press the remote, and off he goes bathing sans water.

Tekno has been programmed as an eight-year old puppy so he has lots to learn and

remember. One time, my friend who had dog phobia kicked him and I don’t think Tekno will forget this because his eyes turned red and he started sobbing like a dog. I guess being kicked was a sensation or experience that he had to experience.

It was tempting to flush out Tekno’s entire memory, which I can do at the flick of a button, but I wanted to keep his memory intact for a while. I think he was also programmed to do a lot of unexpected puppy routines because one day I was surprised to hear him snoring while he slept.

I would recommend Tekno to everyone who can’t have a real puppy in his or her life. It does make a good substitute. You have to have lots of battery though, and you have to make sure you don’t let other people know that you’re playing with it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16910863871131/k2311a109/10.9.09