Nikon D40  » Cameras  »
  • Hello, when I got the nikon D40 I thought to myself, wow, this is old, so much money and I can't do anything with it (it was a present)
  • The first thing I noticed is that the buttons are very ergonomically placed and you can easily change settings even when you're using manual mode
  • The main problem with this camera is that it doesn't have a auto-focus engine
  • I totally recommend this camera for those who like taking pictures but don't really make money from this

• by Mircea

Hello, when I got the nikon D40 I thought to myself, wow, this is old, so much money and I can’t do anything with it (it was a present). I opened the box, attached the lenses slide the battery in and started taking pictures. The first thing I noticed is that the buttons are very ergonomically placed and you can easily change settings even when you’re using manual

mode.

Another think I noticed is that the loading time is really short. After taking a picture you can view it in like 1 second, the camera starts up in less than a second and if you leave it on it will go in stand-by, when nothing will be lid-up, nor the lcd nor the viewfinder, this way saving a lot of battery time, and it will turn on from stand-by mode almost instantly.

The main problem with this camera is that it doesn’t have a auto-focus engine. Which means you won’t have auto-focus unless you use lens with included AF engine.

Another problem I instantly thought about was the 6. 1 mega-pixels, which I don’t find a major drawback now after comparing the D40 with D60 which has the same body and 10megapixels (and many other ...

• Nikon D40
      advantages).

The difference is unnoticeable if the picture is well exposed and well focused. About the battery, I can say that the standard 1000mah Li-ion is great, I can take like 1000 pictures and still have battery left.

If it isn’t enough you can find battery packs made for the d40/d60 body. Nikon never made one, but you can find it for about 40$.

In the battery pack

you can slide another battery this way having 2000mah or more. In conclusion, the Nikon D40 is a great camera if you are an amateur and are looking to take pictures you control.

I tried the Nikkor 70-300mm, and 105mm besides the standard kit of 18-55mm. With those lenses it’s a whole other camera.

I totally recommend this camera for those who like taking pictures but don’t really make money from this.

Nikon D40

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 43710861741131/k2311a107/10.7.09