Paul’s Diner: Black Forest Cake  » Food  »
1.5
Diner is on Rt 46 in Parsippany, NJ USA
  • All the cakes look delicious, and the black forest cake especially looked good, so the last time I went to the diner, I ordered it
  • Unfortunately, it did not taste as good as it looked

• by Opalina143

When you walk into Paul’s Diner in Parsippany you immediately see a glass case full of cakes. There are many types to choose from, including black forest cake. All the cakes look delicious, and the black forest cake especially looked good, so the last time I went to the diner, I ordered it.

They brought me a huge piece. It was so big I knew I could never eat it all. The piece of

cake looked heavenly, with high dark chocolate icing, cream filling, and moist layers. Unfortunately, it did not taste as good as it looked.

The cake was not stale. I can give it that. But the taste was not all that rich. It was rather bland, actually. It tasted more like mocha than chocolate. There was no rich taste. I also did not like the filling. It was white and should have been whipped cream, but it wasn’t. It was some other kind of cream that had a taste that reminded me of cream cheese. I didn’t like it at all. There was no fruit filling, which is common in black forest cakes. They usually have raspberry in them, this one did not.

The only really good part of the cake was the icing. It was rich and creamy and tasted great. I didn’t eat all of the cake,

• Paul's Diner: Black Forest Cake
      but ate every last little bit of icing. The only reason why I ate as much cake as I did was that I knew I had to pay for it, so I felt I had to eat it and get at least part of my money’s worth. I probably consumed a lot of empty calories for nothing. And to add insult to injury, it was quite expensive- almost four dollars. It was a
      waste of money, and I wish I’d gotten a different cake or no cake at all. It was so disappointing, because the cake looked so delicious and I was so happy to get it, only to put my fork in it and discover that it was really mediocre after all.

This diner’s food is usually good, so I will probably go back there- but I certainly won’t order the black forest cake again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 27610860431031/k2311a106/10.6.09