Ikea Malm Bed Frame  » Furniture  »
  • About six months ago, my old bed frame broke, and I decided to go to the local Ikea to buy another one
  • The problem with how it looks is that the facades that line the surface of the bed frame ten to peel back, showing the ugly press board that the frame is actually made out of
  • I first noticed this about two months ago, as I saw one of the corners peeling away
  • This is not a huge issue, but I can see myself getting very angry if things continue at this rate

• by RedEyedFacade

About six months ago, my old bed frame broke, and I decided to go to the local Ikea to buy another one. I had heard quite few good things about Ikea, and decided that I should take a chance on going there. While I cannot say my Malm bed frame is a rock solid piece of art, it has held up well enough these last six months. In this time, though, I have had more than a few things go wrong with it. Panels have fallen off, facades have peeled back to reveal the press board beneath, and there is a creaking that I just cannot get rid of no matter how hard I try. The basic framework of the bed has stayed to together, and it is still holding my mattress as we speak, but it has not done so in a pretty manner.

First and foremost, it is a rather good looking bed frame when you first get it. It is very simple looking,

but it really does look quite nice in a minimalist sense. I have gotten a few compliments on it, as it is much nicer than your standard steel brace and crossbeam setup that is the norm for bed frames. I do like how it gives my bedroom a slightly classier feel, if that makes any sense.

The problem with how it looks is that the facades that line the surface of the bed frame ten to peel back, showing the ugly press board that the frame is actually made out of. I first noticed this about two months ago, as I saw one of the corners peeling away. I was a bit surprised at this, not because I did not know it was made of press board (I was fully aware of the fact that it was made of press board), but because it started happening so quickly, and continues to do so despite how much glue I use to fix it. There are at least ...

• four or five spots where the facade is peeling back, and while I have been using glue to try to keep things at bay a bit, there seems to be a new spot peeling back ever few weeks now. This is not a huge issue, but I can see myself getting very angry if things continue at this rate. If they continue at this rate, my entire bed frame will be ugly press board.

The biggest thing wrong with this bed frame is that a few panels on the side have come loose, and one has fallen off a couple of times. I had just gotten off work, and out of the shower, so I figured I would just plop down on my bed to relax for a while. Well, when I did this, I heard a thunk on the floor. I looked down to see one of the panels had fallen off. When I took a closer look, I saw that the holes where the

bolts were were all stripped out. It was an easy fix, but it does not seem like panels should be falling off a bed frame that is far less than a year old.

The most nagging thing wrong is that everything seems to squeak and squeal way more than I’d like. I have tightened every bolt and screw on the thing, and I just cannot get the squeaks to go away. These are not just the little normal squeaks you’re used to, these are loud ones that happen when you move even slightly. I do not understand it, but it is one of the things I am working on, as it is annoying.

I did not pay too much for my Malm bed frame, so it is not so bad. It does look quite nice, and I am handy enough to fix it when it needs fixing, but I do wish I had gone for a more expensive model in the hopes that I would not have these issues.

shirley glover says :

i need some screws for the long metal bitunder the slats

Marg says :

Go here: You can request replacement screws/parts from Ikea, it has the steps to do so.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 57510859091131/k2311a105/10.5.09