Smart Communications Cellular Phone Service Provider in Surrey, Canada  » Cellular services  »
132-1100 Central City 10153 KIN, Surrey, British Columbia, V3A 7E9
  • So I decided to try it out, my roommate in tow, today, October 3, 2009
  • My roommate tried to hit on her quite a few times which I found rather disgusting, luckily, the saleslady was coy with it
  • I do need this plan for business though, and judging from the prepaid cell phone experience that I had, who knows, this might be a better deal
  • From the way the saleslady treated us at Telus though, I would really recommend this cellular provider to my friends and family

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I finally signed up for a cellular phone term plan after my apartment roommate wouldn’t stop bugging me about it. You see, what happened was my pre-paid cell phone with Telus was actually costing me more. A refill worth 2 hours of airtime costs about $28 and often I had to refill three times a month. So in the long run, this was actually costing me more money.

Smart Communications is the cell phone arm of telecommunications provider Telus, based in Canada. I had originally wanted to try Rogers, another provider, but my roommate really preferred Telus because a friend of his said that you could walk out of the store with a phone without paying a cent.

So I decided to try it out, my roommate in tow, today, October 3, 2009. The sales lady named Winnie first presented us with a Blackberry Storm cell phone model, which was impressive of course, although quite thick looking.

My roommate fancied it for a while, until he realized that he could not walk out of the store with this phone for free. Even with a three-year plan, we were told that we had to pay an extra $100 since

this Blackberry phone costs between $600-$700.

That’s why we both settled for the HTC Snap, which was free on a three year plan. Up to now, of course, I’m still shaking my head about a three-year deal. I’m never one to lock in to any plan. For example, my cable, phone, and Internet are with one provider, but I can walk out on the deal at any time without paying for any contractual penalties.

So honestly, I don’t really know how this would work out for me. The saleslady was great though, and I was surprised she did not get piqued at all with my roommate’s incessant questioning. I okayed my roommate’s special request to put the phone plan under my name, since I just opened up a painting business.

My roommate just moved to Canada from Croatia, so he didn’t have two ID pictures to show. He only had his passport and his international driver’s license wouldn’t be arriving in the mail until a few days from now. Had he been able to present another picture ID though, the saleslady would have okayed the plan under his name. Apparently, there were no complicated credit checks ...

• conducted here at Telus, so my roommate and I were both happy.

I guess with the economy contracting and all, some cellular providers like Telus had to relax their restrictions a bit. So here’s the lay of the land:

The cell phone plan we signed in for was called Your Choice 25, with a base monthly charge of $87.70. This gives me 250 minutes of daytime calling per month, in addition to unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 9 p.m., not 6:00 p.m. to my roommate’s dismay.

What I liked was the first month is unlimited, although web browsing was not. This would give me the opportunity to see how many minutes I would really be using in actual, and I could always change my plan after a month.

There was an offer for a phone insurance plan but we both turned it down because we didn’t want to pay $70 upfront at the store. The plan also included a free GPS navigation promo for one month, which will be an additional $10 if we decide to keep it.

The phone was activated right at the store and we started using it while we were there. All the paperwork took about 45

minutes, but in the end we were satisfied because the saleslady was quite gracious. My roommate tried to hit on her quite a few times which I found rather disgusting, luckily, the saleslady was coy with it.

She even gave us two business cards in case we had any questions about the plan. Of course, the plan carried a $6.95 system access fee per month and a $35 activation fee (one time).

I don’t know if I’ll ever feel comfortable with a term plan, considering that this one will last for three years. And what if I dropped the phone? Without a phone warranty, Telus would only repair the phone and not give us a new one.

But I’ll see. I do need this plan for business though, and judging from the prepaid cell phone experience that I had, who knows, this might be a better deal. From the way the saleslady treated us at Telus though, I would really recommend this cellular provider to my friends and family. The long-term plan, of course, will take getting used to, if you ask me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 22410858120331/k2311a104/10.4.09