Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BC Network Connection Card
  • The big problem though was that despite numerous attempts to update this Wi-Fi card’s drivers, this card always managed to malfunction
  • For a while, I thought maybe some techie was playing a trick on me

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I have been using this wireless card on and off for a long time. It came pre-installed in my Sony VAIO VGN-S260 notebook computer, which means that I have been using the device since 2005, at least.

There is an on and off switch so I can disable it at any time. This came in handy when I didn’t have my own high speed Internet connection when I lived with my parents in a Toronto townhouse. Of course, I wouldn’t be able to determine which neighbor to thank for free wireless Internet connection for at least one year.

After all, this Intel wireless card just scans the area persistently looking for a password-free, or so-called unsecured connection to tap on to. The rest is all good, I get a reliable connection without paying a cent. Of course, most neighbors have their own wireless connections firmly locked, which was a wise thing to do.

So maybe the neighbor I was connecting to had no clue about how Wi-Fi works, or just feels that he was obligated to share the Internet connection with anyone who had need for it like myself.

It was only in late 2008 when

this Intel PRO card starting acting up. I guess its driver or software might have been corrupted when I started using another wireless card with a USB connector. Finding this newer Wi-Fi card faster, since it ran on Wireless N, as opposed to Intel’s G standard, I could connect to more unsecured networks at faster speeds.

However, I lost the new wireless USB gadget starting in 2009, so I had to piggyback to the Intel 2200BC card. The big problem though was that despite numerous attempts to update this Wi-Fi card’s drivers, this card always managed to malfunction.

I used to blame it on Internet Explorer, or even my security software, but I soon realized that my notebook always shut down every time I turn on the Intel wireless card in my notebook. My initial workaround was to turn the card off, turn on my notebook, then turn the card back on again.

Sometimes I got lucky, but often, the card would just cause my notebook to shut down. This happened a lot while I was at Starbucks to take advantage of the free two-hour connection. It also occurred with increasing frequency at the ...

• Vancouver Public Library, which also offered free wireless connection. For a while, I thought maybe some techie was playing a trick on me.

Once or twice, the same thing happened while I was taking advantage of the free wireless offered at the Vancouver International Airport. What this meant was that I had to keep turning on my Sony VAIO every time it shut down due to a malfunctioning hardware which could only be the Intel card.

If I got lucky, my notebook would stay on for a while, but at the slightest opportunity, it would turn off, and so I had to turn it on again. Then lately it got worse, while I worked at the library, my notebook would just turn off each time I turned on the Wi-Fi card. As you might guess, I went home frustrated that night, not having been able to connect to Wi-Fi to finish my writing jobs.

So one morning, I thought I had to confront the culprit to settle the score once and for all. Using my paid Shaw high speed wired connection at home, I accessed Google on my notebook and entered the full name of

the card.

The search finally took me to the Intel Driver Update page where I was able to download a utility that updated the driver on the card. I checked if there was any problem with the update by going to my notebook’s Control Panel, then Device Manager. There would be a yellow exclamation point beside the device if it were not functioning properly.

My first attempt to update didn’t work, and I blamed it on the card, until I discovered that it was my computer firewall which was blocking the update from happening. So after turning the Firewall off, I tried updating the driver again with the downloaded Intel utility software and it worked like a charm. Of course, I had to reinstate my firewall software afterwards.

I’m glad that I was able to perform the update successfully and look forward to not having my notebook turn off again when the Wi-Fi card senses an available and reliable wireless connection. If not, I will have to contact Intel myself and give a technical support representative a piece of my mind.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 33410858030331/k2311a104/10.4.09