Three Wishes DVD  » Movies  »
  • With the recent death of Swayze, I wanted to watch one of his movies that was a feel good film and the one I decided on first was Three Wishes
  • In fact, she said something that has me curious to this day and she even gave me a new perspective to consider in terms of what scenes were real or possibly just imagined or dreamed by the characters
  • It's interesting to note that the commentary both starts and ends abruptly

• by Orrymain

Firmly locked in as one of my top ten Patrick Swayze movies, Three Wishes is a magical delight. It has a great cast with Swayze, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Joseph Mazzello, and Seth Mumy. With the recent death of Swayze, I wanted to watch one of his movies that was a feel good film and the one I decided on first was Three Wishes. This review is of the Three Wishes DVD.

Interestingly, the commentary provided by director Martha Coolidge is taken from the laser disk release. Laser disks were the rage before DVDs came about. They were the first to

have extras such as this. I actually still have my laser disk player and several laser disks, including my Three Wishes. What’s funny is that Coolidge mentions the laser disk, thereby dating her words on the DVD.

Coolidge talks the entire length of the movie and she does so solo with no other person to bounce off of and give her a break. In fact, you barely hear any movie dialog because she doesn’t stop talking for the length of the film. This isn’t a bad thing with her, though. She provides a lot of insight on the story, the ...

• production, and the actors. In fact, she said something that has me curious to this day and she even gave me a new perspective to consider in terms of what scenes were real or possibly just imagined or dreamed by the characters. I hadn’t ever thought about the film in that way.

It’s interesting to note that the commentary both starts and ends abruptly. There’s no introduction of Martha and neither does she sign off, as is customary on DVDs. She just starts and stops talking. This shows how rudimentary this DVD extra actually is.

Though Coolidge talks non-stop practically, she

has a steady, calming voice. She pauses and breaks between topics, so even though she’s the only speaker, she does it pretty well.

I loved the deleted scenes that were provided. They came with and without commentary, and there was a nice featurette called Alchemy - The Making of Three Wishes. It was about 37 minutes long and included interviews with Patrick, Mary Elizabeth, and Martha. Also included was the theatrical trailer and TV spots.

The Three Wishes DVD is a nice one. You learn from the commentary, get more knowledge from the featurette, and the deleted scenes really add something to the overall.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11410857790331/k2311a104/10.4.09