Vonage phone service  » General services  »
2.5
  • I found the set-up process to be very confusing, and worried quite a bit that if something went wrong, I would never be able to fix it
  • This was back in 2004, and at that time, there was no way to dial 911 through Vonage, which I thought was odd
  • I do not know if Vonage still has that problem, but I would ask- before you agree to join and start giving them money
  • But then another problem soon became apparent

• by Opalina143

When I moved out on my own from my parent’s house, I wanted a telephone company that was inexpensive but that provided unlimited service to anywhere in the country. That seemed too good to be true, but then I heard about Vonage. The commercials all said that Vonage would allow me to make as many phone calls in the US as I liked and talk as much as I wanted to – which sounded great. So I signed on.

There was a great deal of equipment that had to be installed to get vonage to work. It went through my computer modem, so a worker had to come and set it up for me. I found the set-up process to be very confusing, and worried quite a bit that if something went wrong, I would never be able to

fix it. This was back in 2004, and at that time, there was no way to dial 911 through Vonage, which I thought was odd. The worker didn’t tell me anything about that, and neither did the salespeople, but there were warnings on everything that said it’s impossible to call 911 from the system. There was a way to get around it, but it was so complicated I gave up trying. Fortunately, my roommate had a cell phone and was home most of the time, so I allowed myself not to have 911. In retrospect, this was a very bad thing. I do not know if Vonage still has that problem, but I would ask- before you agree to join and start giving them money.

Once things were set up, I was able to make calls. The quality ...

• of sound was acceptable, but there was some static at times. And the price was low, there did not seem to be any hidden fees. The quality of service was satisfactory, if not excellent. But then another problem soon became apparent.

I lived in an old building and the power would sometimes go out. When there was no power, I was unable to use the phone, so I would have to wait to make a call until the power went back on. This was bad enough if I couldn’t call the landlord or the energy company to fix the power. But even when the power went back on, the phone still wouldn’t work. Every time the power went off, the phone got messed up- I had to call my parents from my roommate’s phone and

then spend about an hour on my parents’ cell phone to Vonage to get things worked out and the phone back on. As you can imagine, my parents were not thrilled with me. It was very inconvenient.

Now, this was a few years ago, like I said, so I don’t know if Vonage has fixed some of these problems. And I have to say that yes, Vonage was very inexpensive, and yes the service was adequate. So I have mixed feelings. I would not be that eager to use them again- and don’t have to, since I now have a triple package with Io digital (Phone, cable, internet) which I am much happier with. I would say if you are interested in using vonage to read more about what they offer and think about it for a while before you commit.

Vonage phone service

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 25410857670231/k2311a104/10.4.09