Naproxen Pain Reliever  » Medicine  »
  • I thought I might have to go on a narcotic pain killer like Oxycontin or some similar drug, and I really didn’t want to
  • So this is pretty heavy duty medication that can make you sick if you don’t follow the guidelines- though to be honest there have been a few times when I took it without food and had no problem, though I can’t recommend that

• by Opalina143

I suffer from chronic back pain and have searched high and low for a pain reliever that would help. Most pain relievers I have tried wear off too fast or never even get to a point where they will help the pain at all. In frustration, I went to my doctor to talk about a possible way of managing my pain. I thought I might have to go on a narcotic pain killer like Oxycontin or some similar drug, and I really didn’t want to.

Well, the doctor recommended Naproxen and set the amount at 500 milligrams. Naproxen is the generic name for Aleve. The

doctor told me that, unlike Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Aleve was save to take for extended periods and would not hurt my liver. The doctor warned that too much Tylonol would do that. He also said that Aspirin and especially Advil could be very harmful to the stomach if taken for a long time.

So he recommended Naproxen. I was initially a little skeptical, because I had tried so many pain relievers with no relief. But Naproxen really did the job well. The doctor told me to take it with food and the pharmacist reiterated that and also said not to lie down for twenty minutes ...

• after taking the full dose. So this is pretty heavy duty medication that can make you sick if you don’t follow the guidelines- though to be honest there have been a few times when I took it without food and had no problem, though I can’t recommend that.

Now I take 500 milligrams of the Naproxen, which is a prescription dose, when the pain is bad, and it usually keeps the pain at bay for about ten hours. You are supposed to take the doses 12 hours apart. By the end of the dosage period, the pain is starting to come back, but usually it is

bearable to take it once every twelve hours.

On days when the pain is not that bad, I take over the counter Aleve and double the dose. A doubled dose of Aleve is about 375 milligrams, which is within the safety zone. So if you do not have a prescription for Naproxen, two Aleve pills are safe and effective. Do not take more than 500 milligrams of Aleve/Naproxen at one time. That can hurt your stomach, and of course it is unwise to overdose with any drug.

Naproxen has been a lifesaver, and really helps with my back pain. I am glad I was prescribed it.

Robin says :

I am on naproxen 500mg tablets now for my back pain. My doctor told me to take 2 tablets a day. Well I started takening them Oct.17 and I’ve been taking them like the doctor told me to 2 a day every day but they aren’t helping my ain at all. They did the first couple days but now they aren’t even taking the edge off. So what shoud I do any ideas?

junmae says :

You should go back to your doctor and inform him that the Naproxen is not working with you. Naproxen is not effective with everyone. Some just absorbs the medicine then nothing happens. Maybe it is because of your body or the type of pain who have been suffering.

Galega says :

Naproxen is a synthetic compound used as an anti-inflammatory drug, especially in the treatment of headache and arthritis. It works wonderfully in the case of back pain. However, it will also depend on the reason behind the back pain. If the problem is arthritis, it should have given you relief within two days.

After using it for two days and seeing no positive result, I would suggest you to consult the doctor again. There might be some other reasons behind back pain, like related to spinal cord/neuro. A proper diagnosis may be required for the complete treatment.

opalina143 replies :

Unfortunately, you probably need something stronger. Naproxen is good for relatively moderate pain such as arthritis, bad headaches, or sprained ankle but really severe pain usually needs narcotics. Depending on where you live, these can be hard to get legally. I would advise going to your doctor and explaining that the pain is still very bad. Don’t buy narcotics off the street, you don’t know what’s in them or if they’re safe.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26410857640231/k2311a104/10.4.09