I am Because we Are  » Movies  »
  • I recommend this documentary, but it is very hard to take

• by Opalina143

I am Because We Are is a documentary that is heart-wrenching and hard to watch at times, but that is a very important movie about the suffering in the African state of Malawi. In Malawi, there are 1 million orphans, most of them orphaned by Aids. The country has only 12 million people , so there are a huge number of children

trying to survive on their own. Many of them live on the streets or in rural areas that lack basic sanitation and care. Madonna narrates this documentary, which also has commentary by Bill Clinton.

The documentary examines the problems that plague this region of the world. It is not really meant to be entertaining or enjoyable to watch, but more of a consciousness raising type of film. People are encouraged to help in the cause to bring medical care and sanitation to the region. A website is given at the end where you can find out more about donating your time or money. Another question that is addressed in the documentary is “Why should we care?” The name of the documentary comes from that question- “I ...

• I am Because we Are
      am because we are”- meaning all of our lives are entwined and what hurts one person or part of the world lessens the rest of us.

Some of the scenes in this documentary were almost excruciating to watch- people dying of Aids, children mutilated by witch doctors, families living in shacks- but I feel that watching it was almost a life changing activity. If

nothing else, it has made me very grateful for what I have. I realize how lucky I am.

I recommend this documentary, but it is very hard to take. Make sure you have a box of tissues near you and don’t watch it if you are in a very depressed mood- unless you want to see people who have it much worse than you.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11410857630231/k2311a104/10.4.09