Adelaide Hotel Grand Chancellor (formely Holiday Inn)  » Hotels  »
65 Hindley St, Adelaide
  • I had always made a mental note to avoid it, however because of the renaming, I didn't realise that this was the hotel I booked

• by rob porter

I booked this hotel because Wotif had a grand opening special. I checked in on the day after the hotel had been re-branded from Holiday Inn to Grand Chancellor. I have often passed this hotel and wondered what it was like inside as it is situated on the seediest street in Central Adelaide.

I had always made a mental note to avoid it, however because of the renaming, I didn’t realise that this was the hotel I booked. First impressions count

and the i pulled up in the hire car and was met by an extremely friendly courteous doorman.

The hotel carpark is very close by and there is a valet or self park option. Self park is easy and the lifts take you straight to the lobby.

The only way to describe the hotel building is gloomy. From the dark tinted windows at the front framed in tacky gold to the darkened lobby/bar - just terribly uninviting.

The staff are it’s ...

• redeeming feature, everyone I met was incredibly friendly. The room itself was bright enough, the window very small and looked out over rusting tin roof tops.

my room had 2 queen beds, 1 incredibly soft/spongy, the other more firm. great pillows.

Very standard hotel furniture. You could be in any low to mid end hotel anywhere in the world, absolutely nothing stands out about this hotel and for the money you can do way better in Adelaide.

If you can afford $20

a night more do it. I didn’t risk the food, it wasn’t cheap and there are heaps of restaurants in walking distance.

The area immediately outside the hotel does NOT feel safe at night. One bonus is that the aircon is whisper quiet, a factor that many hotels ignore for their guests - i have had many sleepless nights in hotels with chugging/banging/hissing aircon/heating systems.

This hotel is not a dive, it is clean but it is totally underwhelming for the price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2310855770731/k2311a103/10.3.09