Pergamon Museum in Berlin  » Travel  »
Museum Island, Berlin
  • Unfortunately, we were kinda tired and we went quickly through the huge exhibition halls, and even so, we got out 3 hours later

• by klorofill

Located on Museum Island, Pergamon Museum offers the largest, most visually astounding exhibitions on the planet. Seriously, I’m talking HUGE here. Even the museum’s building is monumental, not to mention what’s inside of it. An adult ticket is 10 EUR, which is valid for most of the museums located in Berlin, so once you get one, be sure to check out other parts of Museum Island aswell.

We got in for 5 euros each,

even though I didn’t really believe that our student cards will be accepted, but they have been. Once inside the first thing you can see are the reconstructed versions (in original size!) of the Pergamon Altar (hence the name of the museum) the old gate of Babylon, the Market Gate of Miletus. These three are the central pieces of the museum. Even though they’re only copies of the originals (which don’t exist anymore),

• they’re only partly reconstructed, since some parts are still from the original sites.

Unfortunately, we were kinda tired and we went quickly through the huge exhibition halls, and even so, we got out 3 hours later. I suppose you need an entire day to go through everything in detail. I loved the fact that there were so many people, many many visitors, I’ve never seen so many tourists in one place. Also, some small

devices with headphones were available, which acted like virtual guides through the museum. It was a little weird seeing so many people with headphones, wondering around the halls.

I particulary liked one piece, an old stele (a huge rock with carvings in it), which was around 5000 years old, and belonged to the assyrians. It depicted one of their leaders.

A really really impressive, popular, and monumental museum, very worthy to check out if you’re in Berlin.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38210855560131/k2311a102/10.2.09