Lou’s Skiing Performance Centre  » Business  »
4629 Bowness Road NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • The first thing that I noticed is that from both the outside and once inside, this store if very small

• by Jessie Bahrey

One of the reasons that I was looking forward to being in Calgary, Alberta for the beginning of the winter was that I wanted to check out Lou’s Skiing Performance Centre, a store I had heard of for some time. I had read about this store’s reliance on the biomechanics of skiing, and supposedly this store and its merchandise is the result of Lou’s (the owners), research into the effects of the various effects of different ski equipment on the skier’s performance. He apparently works with racers to build equipment that is completely suited to the customers’ own anatomy and unique

ski style. I am certainly no expert on ski equipment, and I am only learning to ski, so I was interested to see what all this ‘expertise’ would look like in a store and what it would mean for me as a customer.

The first thing that I noticed is that from both the outside and once inside, this store if very small; the store is packed full of merchandise, but is organized well and doesn’t look too crowded. Because I am certainly not an expert (ski boots and skies all look pretty much the same to me except thickness, length and ...

• colours), the brands don’t mean much to me but suffice to say that there are hundreds of skies, poles, boots and anything else you need for skiing and snowboarding. Because of my limited ability to comment on prices and styles of brands of ski equipment, I will comment on the outstanding customer service that I saw and experienced from the incredibly knowledgeable staff.

Some of the services that I saw in the store and was told about by the very excellent salesperson include:

-Getting footbeds molded to your specific foot and then cut to fit in your ski boot-this supposedly helps people with

high arches be able to ski better and have their ski boots be less uncomfortable, or in my case, painful;

-Balancing ski boots-used to determine the skier’s best position on the ski and therefore, allows the staff to adjust the bindings according to this;

-Boot punching and grinding done for comfort, balance and alignment;

-Assessing stance-helps decrease risks of injury and increases comfort and performance.

Lou’s has an incredible selection of ski equipment at very reasonable prices, as my husband told me and he knows skiing. For me, the feature that is unique and truly outstanding is the customized customer service that this store offers. You should go.

Wayne says :

The worst.

Lou’s Performance Centre in Calgary provided the worst service I have ever seen.
    Long story short, they are too busy selling to follow through on all the wonderful service that their web site provides, or even to acknowledge you when you come in for tweaking boots or even warranty repair on a binding. Standing there waiting and waiting and waiting.

Finally did get service on my $ 2,000 purchase (alpine boots, bindings and skis), but it was not up to snuff, not to mention telling me to come pick up gear only to arrive finding that it is not ready. On top of the poor service, they are unorganized and my I dare say inept.

They sell alpine touring equipment and don’t seem to have a clue about client needs. Hopefully they are better for racers, which seems to be their main market?

On my subsequent ski trip, I likely broke a minor bone in my foot as it is still occasionally sore 10 months later, as boots were way too narrow. Despite my complaints, they were “too busy” to provide the promised service, and off on my extended trip I went, with poor gear.

The “Boot Nazi” (to paraphrase Seinfeld comedy).

Try Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) in Calgary or some other store. MEC for example has actual experienced and caring alpine touring enthusiasts working there.

Good luck.

Sadly,
    Wayne//

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 41210855121131/k2311a102/10.2.09