Joomla  » Software  »
  • We again called that guy to install it and this time I decided to learn installing it
  • The main problem is that in case you do not find module that suits you then either you create it or leave the project as it is, as you can’t go further

• by ankgol

I am a software developer and I always learn new technologies related to this field. A year ago when we were making project in software engineering course I came across this powerful application called Joomla. Joomla is a content management system and helps in building powerful web applications. Basically I use Dreamweaver to build web pages but at that time we don’t have enough time to create such a big project in very short time period. Our mentor suggested Joomla and as leader of the developer team I had to handle and create that project.

We all are new to Joomla. We didn’t know anything about Joomla. So the first challenge is to install and learn Joomla. Installation process is very difficult so we called Joomla expert to

install it. He installed and he wrote down the process of installing it. Now it’s time to install it on team member’s computers. Even process was in front of us but we couldn’t install it. We again called that guy to install it and this time I decided to learn installing it. After that I installed it many times on others computers and now I am expert in it. Actually the process is very lengthy. You have to create database, create users and passwords, copy folder here and there blah blah. I can’t describe whole process here but just want to say that to learn installing it you have to practice a lot. Next thing is to learn this application, which requires lots of practice. But once you have learned it takes very less time in creating web applications. This was the hard part. After installation we started working on it. There are two ends of the application called front end and back end. Only administrator have access to back end but front end can be accessed by anyone.

The good thing about Joomla is that there are lots of modules and components installed in it. This is an open source so you can install any module, component and plugin according to your need. For an instance Login form, Polls, Forums and Blogs are already installed there. From the back end administrator can install and customize those modules. If you are application developer then you can imagine how much time it takes to create a login ...

• Joomla
      form. But here we don’t have to develop it but it’s already there. From the back end administrator can change global settings and he can make changes to contents according to his need. The good thing is that there can me more than one administrator and everyone can do his or her work at a same time. What we did is we created 4 users as administrator and all of them can work from their computers with their respective login ID’s. This was very helpful, as in a team we can work on different modules at a same time.

Next thing is to search the modules and components that suit our projects. Modules can be found on Joomla website. But the thing is you have to search it,

install it and see if it works for you. This is very frustrating task because it is not necessary that the module you install will work for you but not frustrating than creating those module. The main problem is that in case you do not find module that suits you then either you create it or leave the project as it is, as you can’t go further. Well for us it worked because luckily we found all the modules we needed. Also you can change templates of site just by installing it. So overall this is a great tool for those who don’t know programming and want to create powerful web application. The only drawback is that if you don’t find module that you need you will get stuck in the middle.

Joomla

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 30110854060631/k2311a101/10.1.09