Naproxen Period Pain Relief Tablets  » Medicine  »
  • To avoid this problem, I would have to set my alarm for 4.00 am or something, and take a tablet
  • Basically, in my experience, Naproxen should be taken regularly at 6 hourly intervals (if you need to take one at 5 hours it will not kill you to do that), whether you are feeling any pain or not
  • I am in my forties now and after taking it for 15 years my hair has become a little thinner certainly, but I think that is more my age than anything else
  • In summary, Naproxen is the best period pain killer I have ever tried

• by jeanne71

I am one of those unfortunate women that suffer with very severe period pain. For the first two to three days of my period I get tremendous throbbing cramps in my stomach that get so bad that I can faint and/or throw up. I also get shooting pains going down my legs. Great fun. Apparently it runs in my family, although my mother and sister tell me that it got better for them once they had given birth. I was looking for a less drastic solution! My sister recommended that I ask my doctor for Naproxen and I have been taking it now for about 15 years. I don’t know what I would do without it.

Apparently, it is the blood clots that cause us the pain, so I am told. Naproxen works by thinning the blood, so you are advised not to take it if you are taking any other blood thinning medicine.

You should never take Naproxen on an empty stomach as it may do horrible things to your stomach lining, although I have done so in emergencies. If I

am in agony I don’t always care about my stomach lining! If I don’t feel like eating but I need to take one, I often just drink a little milk to line my stomach before taking the tablet.

It takes a good hour/hour and a half to kick in, and then the effects last for about 6 hours. The leaflet advises that no more than one tablet should be taken over this 6 hour period, although, again, if I have needed another tablet I have had another one, and I am still here to tell the tale.

Once the tablet has kicked in, my pain is miraculously lifted. There is no groggy feeling at all, and after all the years I have been taking it, I can confirm that it is not addictive at all. There is no buzz or high from this drug.

I have had problems with Naproxen though. The effects last for about 6 hours, so if you have one before you go to bed, you can be awakened with pain early in the morning. Because the tablet takes over an hour to ...

• kick in, you have to suffer that pain for a while before you can go back to sleep. If I leave it too late to take the tablet and the pain has really got bad, I find that the tablet actually seems to sit and ferment in my stomach until I eventually throw up, and of course throw the tablet up as well. If I get in that state, it means I am in agony and yet I can’t take anything for it. At that stage, I go to bed with a hot water bottle and all I can do is sleep the pain off. To avoid this problem, I would have to set my alarm for 4.00 am or something, and take a tablet. Of course I can never usually be bothered to do this!

Basically, in my experience, Naproxen should be taken regularly at 6 hourly intervals (if you need to take one at 5 hours it will not kill you to do that), whether you are feeling any pain or not. You cannot use Naproxen like you would use headache tablets

and just take them when you feel the pain, you should take them constantly for the first three days of your period, or longer if your bad pain lasts longer than that.

According to the leaflet, Naproxen can cause constipation, which I did suffer from, but I solved that problem by simply drinking more water. The leaflet also says that it can cause thinning hair. I am in my forties now and after taking it for 15 years my hair has become a little thinner certainly, but I think that is more my age than anything else.

In summary, Naproxen is the best period pain killer I have ever tried. If I use it properly as I have described, I get no problems at all and it is extremely effective. I would ideally like to find a tablet that works more quickly, but my doctor tells me Naproxen is the strongest painkiller for period pain out there, so I will probably stick to it. The good thing about Naproxen is that when it does kick in, the pain relief is fantastic and it does last a long time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26110853840631/k2311a101/10.1.09