Need For Speed: Shift  » Games  »
  • While aimed at being more of a simulation experience, it retains a small amount of the arcade goodness that the series has been known for throughout its many iterations
  • The different aspects of this game, mixed with a heavy dose of style, make for one of the best racing games I have ever played
  • One of the things I enjoy the most in games is being rewarded for everything I do, and while this normally is not something you see in a racing game, it is remarkably fresh and enjoyable to see it in this one
  • I found them responsive and deep, but easy enough to get a hold of rather quickly
  • I just wish I had more friends with this game, as I know I would enjoy it more if I had more friends to play it with

• by RedEyedFacade

Need For Speed: Shift is a racing game that, despite a few bigger flaws, reminds me of why I used to love racing games so much. While aimed at being more of a simulation experience, it retains a small amount of the arcade goodness that the series has been known for throughout its many iterations. The different aspects of this game, mixed with a heavy dose of style, make for one of the best racing games I have ever played. I really could not be happier with this game, and that is something I do not often say about new games.

The games main career mode is one of the most rewarding ones I have seen in a game. Depending on how clean or dirty you choose to race,

you gain points that, when accumulated, can unlock new races. This system of rewarding you for racing a certain way adds incentive to continue playing. What I liked the most was the near role playing game system of leveling up your profile. Gaining levels opens up various different things, and gives finishing every race purpose, even if you know you are going to lose. One of the things I enjoy the most in games is being rewarded for everything I do, and while this normally is not something you see in a racing game, it is remarkably fresh and enjoyable to see it in this one. The whole system adds a lot of replay value to a game that is already swimming in replay value.

The controls are ...

• as good as any semi-simulation game ever released. I found them responsive and deep, but easy enough to get a hold of rather quickly. This brings me to my one biggest gripe with this game, the handling of the cars. With a control scheme so well designed, it is almost sad that many of the cars in the game handle so badly that you never really get to experience how well the controls are put together. This makes many of the cars in the game completely useless, and really negates having such an amazing control setup.

The visuals and sound are really just amazing. From the incredibly detailed cockpit view (complete with working instruments and mirrors), to the way your screen blurs when you crash into something, you really

get immersed much better than I ever have in a racing game before. The sound of the screeching tires, the roar of the engines, and the crunch when you crash, the sounds did nothing but blow me away.

The multiplayer is quite fun, and while there really is not much to differentiate it from other games in this regard, it does not do anything particularly wrong. I just wish I had more friends with this game, as I know I would enjoy it more if I had more friends to play it with.

All in all, Need For Speed: Shift is not only the best Need For Speed game made in recent times, it may very well be one of the best racing games made this generation. I enjoy this game very much.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 283009853090330/k2311a0930/9.30.09