The Who - A Quick One (Side II)  » Music  »
2.5
  • Side I set some high standards which unfortunately weren’t met, but this side of the record did expose Townshend’s ability to write truly epic songs
  • However, I think Entwistle’s bassline is probably the best thing about this song so far
  • I know that I’ve written that as a review for another Who song, but when you’re dealing with rock operas, I can’t help but think of that song
  • Despite a small flaw, easily the best song of this side and of the record

• by Grimmy101

Overview – Side II of A Quick One is really nowhere near as good as side I with the exception of one song, the title track of the album which is nothing less but a musical epic. Side I had excellent songwriting and just brilliant songs throughout and I was hoping that The Who could match that with Side II but that just wasn’t the case. Don’t Look Away is a pretty good song, the middle two are average and really nothing more, but the last one is great – probably their best composition thus far at this time in their career. Side I set some high standards which unfortunately weren’t met, but this side of the record did expose Townshend’s ability to write truly epic songs.

The Tracks –

1. Don’t Look Away – I’m glad that Side II of the record starts out with a pretty fairly paced song because that gets the energy up for the rest of

the album. I don’t have something against slow songs, but I’m not sure how effective they are for opening an album, or side of it for that matter. The melody and lyrics of Don’t Look Away just sound so happy to me for some reason, in fact I’m surprised they weren’t written by Entwistle because of that. Towards the ending, Townshend has a guitar solo which is a nice touch which hasn’t been in all that many songs so it’s nice to hear.

2. See My Way – I’m slightly under half way through this song, and unfortunately there isn’t anything about it that strikes me as anything that great. However, I think Entwistle’s bassline is probably the best thing about this song so far. The part itself isn’t that great or anything, but I suppose the way that it blends with the rest of the track works very nicely. Moon and Entwistle almost seem to be creating a bit of a ...

• tribal sound in their rhythm section which is pretty unique I’d say. The vocal section isn’t bad or anything but it’s just sort of average and doesn’t strike me as anything very unique or special, not bad work though.

3. So Sad About Us – Also a bit disappointing, So Sad About Us is another track which isn’t bad but at the same time it doesn’t have anything about it which makes it be anything more than average. Right now, compared to Side I, this side really is nowhere near as good which is unfortunate because Side I set a really high expectation and this record actually opened strongly but seemed to go down from there. The performance and everything is all well and good but there isn’t anything to push the song further, but this track leads up to what’s supposed to be the epic of the album.

4. A Quick One, While He’s Away – The opening of this song reminds

me of a stripped down version of Bohemian Rhapsody. I know that I’ve written that as a review for another Who song, but when you’re dealing with rock operas, I can’t help but think of that song. Robert Daltrey honestly doesn’t sound like he normally does as he sings the next section of the song, but this isn’t a complaint at all – merely an observation. I understand that writing a rock opera is very difficult to connect the parts, but one complaint I do have against this song is that the transitions between different sections of this song don’t work extremely well, they just sort of sound disjointed from each other. I understand why this song is praised so highly by fans and critics as all the different sections of this song are very good, my only complaint is that transitions between sections could’ve been better. Despite a small flaw, easily the best song of this side and of the record.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142809850950630/k2311a0928/9.28.09