The Who - The Who Sell Out (Side II)  » Music  »
2.5
  • Relax – I think just from the first few bits of Relax, it’s probably my favorite song from Side II thus far
  • I believe this is the first song to feature an organ on this album, or else it just hasn’t been interesting enough for me to notice it up until now, but it works very nicely and serves a pretty important role in this song in my opinion
  • The lyrics may be slightly repetitive, but the vocal effect and just melody is really cool in my opinion
  • The Who also include a short horn section which sounds almost Latin which is definitely different, a lot of different things happening throughout this track actually to be honest – good track
  • Because of this, once I saw that Rael 1 was closer to six minutes, I figured the song may be a bit boring to listen to or the songwriting wouldn’t be quite as good, but this luckily wasn’t the case and The Who managed to end strong

• by Grimmy101

Overview – Side II of The Who Sell Out isn’t extremely different from side I, or at least I don’t think so, and it just isn’t quite as good. This isn’t to say that side II isn’t good though, some tracks on here still have some great parts to them, but as a whole, Side I just sounded a lot better to me. But then again, side I also has the track Armenia City In The Sky which seems to be like one of my favorite Who songs, so that’s slightly unfair to this song. I don’t know but I guess I was just hoping that Side II of this album would be slightly more energetic since Side I was pretty mellow, but this isn’t really the case and it sort of just continues in that same mood of Side I. I will say that some tracks on here are pretty cool, particularly Silas Stingy and Sunrise, but I personally prefer Side I.

The Tracks –

1. I Can’t Reach You – For some reason, I Can’t Reach You sort of feels like a more mellow version of I Can See For Miles. After listening to side I of this record, I was sort of hoping that side

II would sound a bit more energetic, sort of continuing in the style and mood that I Can See For Miles or Armenia City In The Sky introduced, but this track doesn’t really do that. The song may play on the chorus a bit too much, but it’s not bad – not really as good as some of the previous tracks from Side I though.

2. Medac – Just as Side I had a strange song as track two, side II of this record continues in that trend. While Heinz Baked Beans, the second track from side I, is filled with basically trumpets playing around some spoken phrases, Medac places vocals in the spotlight throughout the entire song. The melody is quite catchy and the character and uniqueness of the vocals are really conveyed here. The song’s really short, under a minute, but it’s catchy for what it’s worth.

3. Relax – I think just from the first few bits of Relax, it’s probably my favorite song from Side II thus far. The vocal delivery along with the organ line and even a few guitar parts, create a very hypnotic sound and it’s a pretty mesmerizing tone. Not quite psychedelic like Armenia City In The Sky, but a good sound ...

• nonetheless. I believe this is the first song to feature an organ on this album, or else it just hasn’t been interesting enough for me to notice it up until now, but it works very nicely and serves a pretty important role in this song in my opinion.

4. Silas Stingy – The keyboard lines of this song are excellent, just as the previous track, they help the song so much and they just sound great. To go along with this, the vocals throughout this track are great. They’re edited in a way which sort of reminds me of a much less complicated version of Bohemian Rhapsody for some reason. The lyrics may be slightly repetitive, but the vocal effect and just melody is really cool in my opinion. The Who also include a short horn section which sounds almost Latin which is definitely different, a lot of different things happening throughout this track actually to be honest – good track.

5. Sunrise – After hearing a track which featured a bit of a wider instrumentation, listening to Sunrise is nice because all it has in it is vocals and an acoustic guitar behind them. The vocal performance is calming and fits nicely with the song and everything, but I

have to really give credit to Townshend’s playing on this track. His songwriting on this album impressed me, but as far as his actual guitar playing, there wasn’t really anything on here thus far that really made me just think wow, but the beauty in his acoustic riffs throughout the song definitely do that. If this song was an instrumental I’d still be saying that, the riffs here are excellent.

6. Rael 1 – I have absolutely no idea what the lyrics of this track are about. I mean, I haven’t looked into them but just from what I’m hearing, it sounds like a lot of nonsense to be honest. However, this aside – I think that the vocal performance on this track is strong once again and fits with the music nicely. After looking over the actual track listing of this album, I noticed that basically all of the songs on this album were fairly short, pretty much all of them under four minutes. Because of this, once I saw that Rael 1 was closer to six minutes, I figured the song may be a bit boring to listen to or the songwriting wouldn’t be quite as good, but this luckily wasn’t the case and The Who managed to end strong.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142809850920630/k2311a0928/9.28.09